Swiss cheese safe for pregnant ladies?

• RegulaBC
    Participant
    5 posts
    19 September 2022 at 18:15:38 #828379

Gruetzi,

My son and daughter-in-law will be traveling in Switzerland (and London and Paris) very soon. We just found out that she is pregnant – yippee! Besides the usual -avoid alcohol, unpasteurized milk products (some Gruyere, etc.?), raw meats (Bundnerfleish?), etc.- does anyone have any advice about foods she should avoid or eat while in Switzerland? She is of course asking her US doctors but what do Swiss women normally do?

She is a major cheese fan (like the rest of the family!) and has been looking forward to her first visit for a long time (this is a delayed honeymoon due to Covid). Should she ask if cheese is pasteurized? Is cheese fondue okay – should she ask the restaurant to cook it a bit longer to burn off the alcohol and of course no kirsch? What about raclette, whipping cream, fabulous Swiss butter, raw salads? Fribourg is on their itinerary – Moitie-moitie, Meringues with La Gruyère double cream!!

Danke, Merci, Thank you!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6376 posts
    19 September 2022 at 19:02:27 #947078

Hi RegulaBC,

Cheese comes in various shapes and names in Switzerland. I’m sure you’ll find something that is safe for you. When you order fondue in restaurants, just mention that you are pregnant and prefer no alcohol. Most restaurants will oblige to your request.

Based on my experience, when I was pregnant, my doctor told me I could eat anything. But to be safe I avoided raw meat. Everything else I ate in moderation. But each person is different so be sure your daughter-in-law refers to her doctor for advice.

Have a safe trip.

Anna

• The thread ‘Swiss cheese safe for pregnant ladies?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.