Bern, Lucerne, Zurich itinerary for late December

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 13:38:01 #819116

Hi, guys.

How would you plan a 6-day itinerary between Bern, Luzern and Zurich (with a few side trips)?

I will have more time to go to the alps and other cities but I’m wondering whether it makes sense to spend for example 2 days in each of these cities, changing hotels but enjoying a little bit of the night as well or to make only day trips with a base (in this case in which of the cities?).

I’m planning to spend new year’s eve in Zurich but the other days starting on Christmas eve are still open.

I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks a lot!!

Luis

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 17:26:38 #900007

Hi Luis and welcome to MySwissAlps!

When you say you have more time to visit the Alps…would that be after these 6 days or during those 6 days?

Picking which cities to stay overnight at really depends on what you want to see and do in those towns. If you want to be out later at night at each town then it probably makes sense to spend 2 nights at each location (as long as you don’t mind moving hotels every other night.

Be sure to use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out trips between towns to see what could be done as a day trip. http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

I’d probably prefer 2 base towns in a 6 day period and perhaps just make a day trip to one of those 3 towns (whichever is the least interesting to you based on what you want to see/do).

To help you see what there is to do in Switzerland and in those towns see the links below:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 18:16:20 #900008

Hi, Lucas.

Thanks for the reply.

I will have other days before and after to go to Zermatt and St. Moritz, so this 6 days would be dedicated to those 3 cities and possibly surroundings (what do you think about the towns on the Rhein and Vaduz / St. Gallen for day trips from Zurich?)

Moving hotels is always painful.. therefore I would just spend nights in all of the cities if you guys specifically advise to do so for Weihnachtsmarkt, night life, dinner options or whaterver reason)

Because of the New year I will definitelly stay at least two nights in Zurich, but between Luzern and Bern I’m in doubt… I could stay in Luzern and take train to Bern for one whole day (like you suggested).

Thanks again for the very helpful insights

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 19:25:22 #900009

I’d probably lean to Bern as a day trip then (especially if you want to mountain activities that are so easily accessed from Lucerne). http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/activities

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 December 2018 at 13:57:01 #900010

Here is something on St. Gall.

The Abbey church and library are worth a trip.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/st-gall-aka-sankt-gallen-and-good-bratwurst

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Bern, Lucerne, Zurich itinerary for late December’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.