Swiss cocktail for Swiss National Day on Aug 1

• mestettler
    Participant
    27 posts
    1 August 2020 at 0:30:23 #825638

Is there a Swiss cocktail for 1 August, Swiss Independence Day? (I can’t get Swiss wine in America.). I have a menu of bruschetta, Raclette with sautéed veggies, and Cervelas. (Unfortunately my Nüssli Salat didn’t grow as I had hoped.). It’s too hot for fondue.

Drink suggestions and menu additions welcomed. Thank you, Myriam

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6376 posts
    1 August 2020 at 7:00:49 #934016

Hi Myriam,

My Swiss neighbours love their Proseccos! Here’s a recipe you might want to try:

3 parts Prosecco
    2 parts Apérol
    1 part soda/ sparkling water
    ice cubes
    Place ice cubes in the glass. Add the Aperol, soda and top with a slice of orange

Not sure what this is called though.

If you are interested in culinary trips, here’s the link to check out: http://www.myswissalps.com/activities/culinary

Have a great day!

Anna

Janice3401
    Participant
    29 posts
    1 August 2020 at 14:06:15 #934017

Hi Myriam—

You can buy Swiss wine in the United States (although it is too late for your August 1 celebration) but I agree that it is not easy to find. I just bought two bottles of Fendant (Renaissance Fendant AOC Valais 2018) from a wine store in my metropolitan area-Chain Bridge Wine Cellars in McLean, Virginia. I‘ve previously bought Humagne Rouge from this store and they also carry a Pinot Noir from Vaud and another Valais white. They do ship out of state but because of the patchwork of inter-state wine shipping prohibitions in the U.S., they may not ship to your state. Cheers!

Janice

mestettler
    Participant
    27 posts
    2 August 2020 at 18:22:49 #934018

Anna, That’s what I ended up making, but I used 7-Up instead of soda/sparkling water to make it a little sweeter. I think it’s called an Aperol Spritzer. Thank you for the culinary link, I am having a great time looking at it!

Janice, Thank you for the information on buying Swiss wine in the USA. I especially like the idea of (possibly) being able to get Pinot Noir.

• The thread ‘Swiss cocktail for Swiss National Day on Aug 1’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.