Use Saver Day Pass within certain time of purchase

• Deni61
    Participant
    35 posts
    19 February 2018 at 5:57:52 #814418

Hi, in your forum I read that you need a half fare travel card to purchase the Swiss Day Travel Pass. I have just been on their website and you can travel even without a half fare travel card for CHF 52. I was wondering though, with the Swiss Day Travel Pass do you need to use it within a certain time of purchasing it. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 February 2018 at 6:09:34 #876737

Hello Deni,

You can read about the Saver Day Pass here http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details.

The price varies (increases) based on how close to your travel date you purchase it. CHF52 is the cheapest price without a half-fare card. That price is normally only available more than 10 days out from your travel. You can’t buy one more than 30 days in advance of your travel date.

You don’t need a half-fare card to purchase one but note that if you don’t have a half-fare card then most mountain railways and cable cars are not covered by the SDP. Check the validity tab on the link above.

Deni61
    Participant
    35 posts
    19 February 2018 at 7:28:25 #876738

Hi Rockoyster, I know it is going to be wonderful when I get there but the train sorting out is doing my head in. We don’t use rail as much here in Australia so there is so much to absorb especially when other countries are involved.

We are travelling from Lyon to Lucerne. I thought we would get the train from Lyon to Geneva (AU$45.00) and then have a day pass so we could travel from Geneva – Montreaux-Zweisimmen-Interlaken Ost-Lucerne.

Another day we are travelling to Lauterbrunnen return so I thought the day pass would work well here as well.

The third day we are travelling from Lucerne by boat to Fluelen then to Andermatt-Disentis/Muster and then Chur

I would buy the ticket for the Bernina Express. If I got in early enough which I would, this work work out to be AU$210 for the 3 days plus the AU$160.00 for the Bernina Express Total CHF 272

Would love your opinion. Thank you

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 February 2018 at 9:06:25 #876739

Hi Deni,

The Saver Day Pass can work well if you are travelling on different days with gaps in between. You could even use one for your Bernina Express day. But if you use it for a day trip to Lauterbrunnen from Lucerne none of the mountain trips are covered. Do you really want to just get to Lauterbrunnen and not go any further?

But buying a SDP can be a bit of a lottery. If you strike it lucky with the prices then it will be cheaper than a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex. Depends how much effort you want to invest.

Personally I would say – look Switzerland is expensive, get over it, and buy a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass if you are travelling on consecutive days or STP Flex if non-consecutive. Mucking about with SDPs you might save CHF100 or less then 1% of your overall travel budget and develop an ulcer worrying about it. 😇

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2018 at 9:22:07 #876740

Hi Deni,

You will have to use the Saver Day Pass on the day for which you’ve purchased it.

As rockoyster pointed out, most mountain railways and cable cars are not covered by the SDP. It might be useful to do the math in order to pick the best rail pass for your trip. Read our page on how to choose the best rail pass. You’ll need to decide where you will be traveling to and which activities you will do during your trip. Then do the math to compare point to point tickets vs. different rail passes.

On the page you can download a document which gives you a quick overview of the different rail passes, and an Excel spreadsheet that can help you with your calculation.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2018 at 9:48:48 #876742

Well, at least I was referring to the same page 😉

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 February 2018 at 9:57:58 #876743

Yep. 😎

Deni61
    Participant
    35 posts
    19 February 2018 at 11:33:35 #876744

Hehehehe thank you. I wish I wasn’t such a researcher!! But thank you. On another note, you said I could use the Day Pass for the Bernina Express. I knew that the Swiss Travel Pass included it but didn’t realise the one day pass included it as well. Does it cover all the way from Chur to Lugano?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2018 at 13:23:08 #876745

Hi Deni,

Yes it does. However, you still have to pay for the seat reservation and supplement. Or you travel by regional train which is following the same track. No reservation cost and supplement to be paid, except for the bus from Tirano to Lugano.

• The thread ‘Use Saver Day Pass within certain time of purchase’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.