Swiss electrical adapter advice

• jbarn
    Participant
    16 posts
    28 August 2022 at 20:10:27 #828202

What electrical adapters should we bring from the United States? Does anyone have a picture of what type of sockets we’re most likely to encounter in our hotels? 3-pin Type J? Are most outlets recessed into the wall? We have 2-pin adapters but will those fit into recessed outlets? Do we need to be concerned with the voltage required for devices, such as my hair curler? Thank you for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

EASW
    Participant
    122 posts
    28 August 2022 at 23:03:23 #946140

The type J outlets were the ones we encountered in Luzern, Wengen, Zermatt and Geneva. We had type C adapters, which supposedly fit into the J outlets, but the outlets had an indentation that the adapter wouldn’t fit all the way into, so we had to go to the local Coop store in Luzern to get the appropriate adapter. So yes, type J adapters.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2022 at 23:56:26 #946141

Some years ago this was discussed extensively – MODERATORS – can you find the discussion as it had images linked?

Yes, you need an adapter . Like most of Europe Swiss voltage is in the 220 – 240v dc range, not the 110 used in North America

Swiss sockets (since about 20 years ago) are nearly all recessed, so you must have the ‘lozenge’ type plug.

http://www.ceptics.com/products/switzerland-travel-adapter-type-j-dual-usb-ctu-11a

Most multi-version international adapters have this included nowadays (my home type is UK three pin, but I have quite a compact lightweight adapter that has settings for all European 2 and three pin, plus ‘Swiss’ lozenge, plus American ‘thin’ pins)

Anna
    6362 posts
    29 August 2022 at 3:51:28 #946142

Hi Jbarn,

We use Type-C and Type-J plugs in Switzerland.

You can find further information here: http://www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/practical/swissoutlet

Regards,

Anna

jbarn
    Participant
    16 posts
    30 August 2022 at 0:35:06 #946143

Thank you to you both, 1960man and Anna! You’ve been very helpful!

CMarie
    Participant
    17 posts
    30 August 2022 at 9:12:41 #946144

Hi Jbarn!

We’ve been in Switzerland several weeks and before leaving from the USA on our trip, we purchased these from Amazon. They have two places to plug into one adapter. It’s very difficult to expect to use 2 adapters in onexof their outlets because the adapter “base” is so wide. I’ve included the Amazon link and pictures of our current hotel’s outlet.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy your upcoming trip!

Switzerland Power Plug Adapter by OREI with 2 USA Inputs – Travel 3 Pack – Type J (US-11A) Safe Grounded Use with Cell Phones, Laptop, Camera Chargers, CPAP, and More https://a.co/d/iSRG7fa

CMarie
    Participant
    17 posts
    30 August 2022 at 9:15:36 #946145

Jbarn,

My Amazon link may not show, so I’ve included a screen shot

jbarn
    Participant
    16 posts
    30 August 2022 at 12:54:47 #946146

So helpful, CMarie! Thank you!

CMarie
    Participant
    17 posts
    30 August 2022 at 14:02:35 #946147

Jbarn,

Glad to help! We just checked into our next hotel and I wanted to show how we plugged 2 items into it. Granted, you’ll see USB plugs available but that has been a very rare thing for us to see on our travels.

Njk50
    Participant
    69 posts
    31 August 2022 at 1:08:00 #946148

Hi. I was looking for these adapters on amazon but they are temporarily out of them. Is this all you need. Do you just plug the adapter into the outlet and then plug your device into the adapter? Do you need something that converts the voltage?

Hope this makes sense. thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2022 at 12:55:09 #946149

Hi Njk50,

as far as I know, you do not need anything else, just one adaptor.

Have you tried the Amazon links here: http://www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/practical/swissoutlet?

Ildiko

Njk50
    Participant
    69 posts
    31 August 2022 at 14:32:26 #946150

thank you

CMarie
    Participant
    17 posts
    31 August 2022 at 15:06:58 #946151

Jbarn,

A converter is only needed if your electronics cannot accept the dual voltage. For example, my Samsung Galaxy 6 phone is dual voltage compatible. That means, I only need a plug that fits the international plug configuration. I took a picture of the specs shown on our USB adapter plug. It shows input “input 100-240V” and that is compatible with Switzerland. In fact, see the picture, I’ve attached of a warning note included with our Amazon purchased adaptor plugs.

We checked all of our electronics (specs) in advance to verify they are dual voltage capatible. Laptop, curling iron, portable headset, etc. Most of our electronics only need to be plugged in with an adapter. On my blow dryer, there is a switch I need to change “before” plugging it in. I’ve included a screenshot of my blow dryer. I like to carry it only because it’s so small, so light, and works great.

I hope this helps and not too wordy!

Njk50
    Participant
    69 posts
    31 August 2022 at 20:08:55 #946152

perfect. thank you

CMarie
    Participant
    17 posts
    1 September 2022 at 5:47:07 #946153

Njk50,

SorryI used the wrong “name” when I replied to you 😉

• The thread ‘Swiss electrical adapter advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.