Swiss Family Card kids have different surname

• Ozswstrv
    Participant
    37 posts
    27 August 2018 at 4:53:57 #818104

Good morning to all,

We have purchased a swiss family pass. My wife and I have the same surname, but our 2 children have a different surname on the pas than ours , as they are from a previous relationship that my wife was in, does this matter? or Is it just a matter of producing their passports when asked?

Kind regards

Matt

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2018 at 15:34:59 #895105

Hi Matt,

I would think this issue would come up more these days as it isn’t too uncommon. Technically Swiss railways has different products for kids if they are not your own (nieces, friends kids, grand kids). We’ll look into it.

Do you happen to have an official document stating they are your kids if it is needed?

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 August 2018 at 16:51:47 #895106

Hi Matt,

I checked this for you and it appears that the company issuing the Swiss Family Card should check the parental relationship. In reality they rarely do, and I suppose they didn’t in your case either. Anyway, once you have the Swiss Family Card it is fine, the train staff won’t check the relationship. They may check passports though, so as you said, you will need to take these along for all passengers.

Ozswstrv
    Participant
    37 posts
    27 August 2018 at 23:39:33 #895107

Hi All,

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Regards

Matt

• The thread ‘Swiss Family Card kids have different surname’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.