Swiss Travel Pass Flex and the mountain railways

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2016 at 2:20:38 #808965

We are planning a trip where we travel by train to the Mürren on our first day in Switzerland, spend the next 2 days in the area using the mountain railways, then leaving Mürren on our 4th day and using trains and boats to get to Zurich where we catch an overnight train to Vienna. Since we are in Switzerland for 4 days, I can understand using a Swiss Travel Pass 4 day consecutive. But my question is if we are using primarily mountain railways for 2 of the days, can I instead buy a 3 day Flex Pass since that will give us the 50% off for the majority of the mountain railways or does the pass have to be valid for all 4 days to get the mountain railway discount?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    21 April 2016 at 5:59:47 #851008

Hi djgluckman,

Theoretically you can indeed buy a 3-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi. It includes 3 days of free traveling and discounts on the remaining days (one in your case). However, this pass is more expensive than a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass. The Swiss Travel Pass will be easier to use as well: no free days to select and less tickets to buy. Note that it also includes the cable cars to Mürren and even the Schynige Platte cogwheel train from Wilderswil is included as of 2016. You’ll find all details here, and if you prefer to to the math you can check these instructions.

As you live in the USA, you can visit one of the below sites to print the pass at home:

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass Flex and the mountain railways’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.