Swiss flexi pass 1st versus 2nd class Golden Pass

• beenaeem
    Participant
    29 posts
    6 July 2017 at 12:41:44 #812541

we are travelling to switzerland (2 adults, 2 children) . i want to ask about the firts class and second class pass. we are intending to buy flex pass for 4 days costing us chf 598 second class. but its v expensive if we choose first class pass. we will go for panoramic train ride for a day. (same day we will be back). does golden pass route using second class pass differ from first class? can we upgrade it to first class pass for a day? can we do it online?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 July 2017 at 13:03:12 #866368

Hi Beenaeem,

The general difference between first and second class is explained here. The views are the same regardless of your seat though. You can buy an upgrade at any staffed train station. Upgrades don’t sell out. You’ll pay half of the difference between the classes, so an occasional upgrade is relatively affordable.

beenaeem
    Participant
    29 posts
    6 July 2017 at 17:29:36 #866369

thanks. we will use panoramic train ride from zweissimen to montreux ( it only runs between that route ). will go from luzern with last leg in montreux and use a regular train ride on way back to luzern. so need to upgrade only (first class) between zweissimen to montreux. will i upgrade at luzern or on zweissimen ? how much would be the cost for adult and for child?

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 July 2017 at 18:31:45 #866370

Hi Beenaeem,

You can best buy the upgrade for that leg in Luzern as you won’t have time for it in Zweisimmen. The price is CHF 12.50 per adult. The children travel for free if they are younger than 16 and if you order a Swiss Family Card along with your Swiss Travel Pass Flex. Please see here for where to buy: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpassflex/ price.

If you also want to have a seat reservations you would need to order that separately, for all travelers including the children.

beenaeem
    Participant
    29 posts
    21 July 2017 at 8:55:46 #866371

Hi

As we are buying flexi second class pass i want to ask u smeething. From zwessimen to montreux can we hop on panoramic train with second class pass? does panoramic train ride also have first and second class? Im just thinking why to get into hassle of upgrade if we can hop on panoramic train between zwessimen and montruex (if there is not much difference n we still can enjoy scenic routes)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2017 at 11:24:40 #866372

Hi Beenaeem,

Yes, you can travel on any part of the Golden Pass route with a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass Flex. The panoramic trains have both 1st and 2nd class – so you can upgrade if you want or stay in 2nd. I don’t think there is a huge difference between the classes – you won’t miss out on too much and you still have panoramic windows etc.

If you want to upgrade you can do so with the SBB mobile app – another forum member posted a how-to here.

Lucas

beenaeem
    Participant
    29 posts
    23 July 2017 at 18:40:52 #866373

hi

thanks a lot for ur reply. i want to know how to order swiiss family card? children are under 16 and we bought swiss flex pass for 2 adults (4 days) alongwith 2 children under 16. our tickets will be snet to the uk via normal delivery in 6 days.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2017 at 5:42:34 #866374

Hi beenaeem,

Normally the Swiss Family Cards are ordered at the same time as your Swiss Travel Pass Flex (as they are free). In this case you would need to go into a Swiss railways office once in Switzerland and they will give you the Swiss Family Card when you show them the Swiss Travel Pass Flex.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 July 2017 at 6:55:06 #866375

Hi beenaeem,

You wrote: Im just thinking why to get into hassle of upgrade if we can hop on panoramic train between zwessimen and montruex . . .

I may be wrong but “hop on” implies you could be planning to travel without reservations on this leg of the journey. Be aware that there are often large tour groups that book out the trains and you may have difficulty getting a seat or more likely getting seats where your family members can all be seated together.

Read about reservations here http://www.mob.ch/en/reservat ion-procedure

beenaeem
    Participant
    29 posts
    24 July 2017 at 9:28:48 #866376

Hi lucas

Yes i selected family card in front of kids ticket while booking. now the tickets are being sent by post. We will reach zurich airport n then take a train to zurich hb (nearest station from our hotel) . So from zurich airport before getting on train we can go to ticket office n request for family card so kids can travel free for that journey too . ( as u mentioned family card has to picked from train station) .

And thatnks rockytar. I booked tickets and they will reach me in a week. After that i can go to the link provided put my booking number to book seats for zwessimen to montreux?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 July 2017 at 9:45:35 #866377

Hi beenaeem,

You said: I booked tickets and they will reach me in a week. After that i can go to the link provided put my booking number to book seats for zwessimen to montreux?

When you say “booked tickets” do you mean ordered your pass? If you are using a Swiss Travel Pass (Flex) you do not need tickets for the train rides. Seat reservations are completely separate. You don’t have to have your pass in order to make reservations – you can and should make reservations as early as possible.

beenaeem
    Participant
    29 posts
    24 July 2017 at 10:19:58 #866378

Sorry meant ordered a flex pass. And going from luzern to montreux . Catching 11 am train from luzern. That will reach montreux at 16.13 via zwessimen . Do ineed to book whole or just zwesimmen to montreux leg . Link u sent is not in english so cant understand. Any other link for reservation?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 July 2017 at 10:25:47 #866379

There is a button on the top right hand corner of the website to select language.

You should only need to make reservations on the Zweisimmen to Montreux section.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2017 at 11:05:33 #866380

DEAR,

During August 2nd wek We ll be in Switzerland. Is it OK to wear jeans-shorts (Bermudas) while going up for Mount Rigi , Mt. Pilatus etc or should we have pants and leather jackets ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2017 at 16:47:02 #866381

Hi rrtantry,

Please start a new thread for new questions. This thread is about the Golden Pass and 1st vs. 2nd class as well as the Swiss Travel Pass Flex.

To quickly answer your question you should probably wear pants and jackets as it can be quite cold at those altitudes – check the weather before you go to the top!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2017 at 6:10:43 #866382

Thank you so much.

• The thread ‘Swiss flexi pass 1st versus 2nd class Golden Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.