Supersaver ticket and Bernina Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 8:56:48 #816179

Dear all,

I need some advice with regards to Bernina express ticket reservation. Hope you guys can help me out.

I will buy a 4 day first-class swiss flexi pass during my 10 day trip. Geneva – Vevey – Zermatt – St Moritz – Zurich. I will not be using the pass for the Bernina express from Alp Grum to Tirano.

1) So if buy a supersaver ticket do i need to buy first or 2nd class (as the reservation fee is the same CHF 14.00). Or a journey specific ticket which is about CHF 32.90 2nd class

2) After which, I will be taking a normal train to Proschiavo. Spend sometime there and return to St Moritz. Which ticket would be ideal? 1 day travel or supersaver ticket?

3) Does the 1st class Swiss flexi pass have any connection to class of the supersaver ticket which i will be buying?

Thanks in advance!

J

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 14:35:30 #886110

Hi Janeheidi and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. So, you are going to take a regional train from St. Moritz to Alp Grüm and then the Berina Express train to Tirano? I don’t think you’ll find a super saver ticket for the actual Bernina Express train but you can use it on other trains traveling the same route (if you find one). You can buy it for 1st or 2nd class if available.
    2. Is this on the same day? I’d probably try and buy a Saver Day Pass – then you only need worry about reservations on a Bernina Express train (if you take it)
    3. No. You would either use your Swiss Travel Pass Flex that day or if not buy a ticket for 1st or 2nd class – whatever you like.

Do note there are Saver Day Passes and Super saver tickets….which were you referring to?

You wouldn’t use your Swiss Travel Pass Flex in conjunction with either pass or ticket (one or the other).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 0:33:32 #886111

Hi lucas,

Thank you for your kind reply.

1. Yes the engadine card covers till alp grum.

2. Yes, same day. i will be visiting Proschiavo using Regional train from tirano and back to st moritz. So i will have to get a ticket from tirano to Proschiavo then to alp grum.

3. Which ticket will be ideal for the day. Bernina express one way (seat reservation chf14) and then 2. as above?

Thanks in advance,

J

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 6:35:07 #886112

So I may need more coffee today but I want to get your route clear in my head.

1. St. Moritz to Tirano (all on the Bernina Express train). Returning same day to St. Moritz on a regional train (with a stop in Poschiavo for a couple hours)

If that is correct, you’ll need a ticket on the Bernina Express for Alp Grüm to Tirano and a reserved seat from St. Moritz to Tirano.

On the return no reservations needed on regional trains, just a ticket for the trip back. You can use the timetable to find train schedules for the date you are wanting to do this (I’d reserve the seats as soon as possible).

If you are not traveling for a month or more your best bet is the Saver Day Pass to cover all tickets for the train. You can’t buy a Saver Day Pass more than 30 days out but if you can get it right around 29/30 days you can get it for as low as 52chf (prices change).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 15:08:50 #886113

Thank you Lucas! I did as you suggested. I could buy you coffee sometime 😀

Any recommended restaurant or coffee place in St Moritz/Sils maria area?

Gooday,

J

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2018 at 0:53:46 #886114

>> Any recommended restaurant or coffee place in St Moritz/Sils maria area?

This one is famous, and I can personally recommend it:

Grond Café Sils-Maria

http://www.grond-engadin.ch/filialen/si ls-maria/

As far as I can see, you haven’t told us your travel dates, so I should mention that it is closed between seasons from 5 April until 8 June 2018 inclusive.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2018 at 4:11:27 #886115

Dear Alpenrose,

Thank you for yr reply

> 14-25Aug

KR,

J

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2018 at 6:20:59 #886116

I haven’t been to the area myself so can’t get you another recommendation. If you need a Zurich recommendation let me know!

• The thread ‘Supersaver ticket and Bernina Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.