Swiss flexi pass or half fare card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2013 at 14:14:37 #805964

Traveling to switzerland in July with my husband and wondering which pass I would need–swiss flexi pass or half fare card. Main travel costs we would incur would be the following:
    1. Innsbruck Austria to Zurich (assume the Austria portion of this journey is not covered)
    2. Zurich to Lucern (staying in Lucern for 2-3 nights)
    3. Sightseeing around Lucern
    4. Travel from Lucern to either Murren or Wengen (staying one night there)
    5. Jungfrau
    6. Murren or Wengen (wherever we decide to stay for one night) to Zurich

Seems like most of the major transportation costs we would incur will be on the mountain. Am I correct that the swiss flexi pass only offers a 25% discount for Jungfrau while Half price card is 50%? Also does the swiss flexi pass include all the railways on the mountain or just up to Interlaken? Wasn’t sure if we would be charged full price for anything past Interlaken with the Swiss flexi pass

Which pass would be better? This is our first trip to switzerland and wasn’t sure which one to buy. Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7094 posts
    6 May 2013 at 13:30:08 #838573

Hi ssflanagan! It depends a bit on your exact plans, for example during your stay in Lucerne. If you plan to make long and expensive train or boat trips there, a Swiss Saver Flexi Pass might be better. If you’ll mainly be making shorter regional trips, I suggest you look into the Swiss Card (it’s about equally expensive as, but more convenient than, the Swiss Half Fare Card solution in your case). The Swiss Card would provide a free inbound trip, without the requirement of buying additional discounted tickets, from the Swiss/Austrian border to Lucerne and a free outbound trip from Mürren or Wengen to Zurich, plus a 50% discount on all trips in between.

The only way to know for sure is to make an exact list for your plans, including all day trips from Lucerne, and make calculations. This includes a comparison of the areas of validity by downloading the network maps from the Swiss Flexi Pass and Swiss Card pages.

• The thread ‘Swiss flexi pass or half fare card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.