Swiss Half Fare Card – ordering time online?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 22:25:32 #814444

Does the Swiss Half card REALLY not come till 7 days before the date of use which is June 2018 if you ask for it by email? I would like to have it quickly so that I can book a few train trips early. . Or if I ask for it by email will it come with in a few hours. Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 February 2018 at 23:32:27 #876891

It normally arrives by email within hours (or minutes). The 7-day from order thing is just one of those “avoiding liability” conditions.

But . . . you don’t need to have the Swiss Half Fare Card in order to make bookings. You generally can’t make reservations more than 90 days out from your travel. And you only really need to make reservations on the major panoramic trains (Glacier Express, Bernina Express and Golden Pass between Zweisimmen and Montreux). Tickets you can buy anytime up to just prior to boarding.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 February 2018 at 1:47:18 #876892

Hi Rockoyster-

You have said it well and succinctly.

I know that you have learned that you can hop on any train in Switzerland ( except the specials that you noted) and get a seat ( unless perhaps during rush hour near Zürich or Geneva) but is is strange concept to many from less privileged countries.

I find these links useful too:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 February 2018 at 2:40:30 #876893

Hello RandMarg,

I’ve just been looking at a few of your earlier posts. You mention “my family and I”. Are there any children in your party? Forgive me if this seems like a silly question but you do realise that you need a Swiss Half Fare Card per adult.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2018 at 13:25:04 #876894

I ordered our Half Fare Cards just a few days ago. Although I could have got them printed and saved some money, I asked to send them by courier. Yesterday a courier left a notice about a package as nobody was home. I am almost sure it would be the Half Fare Cards and in that case they arrived in just a few days (not even a week) after ordering. My visit is still over 6 weeks away.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2018 at 16:05:45 #876895

Thanks for the note srdebnath!

I’d definitely recommend to order online so one can get it by email. No shipping costs and it comes almost instantaneously – and you have an electronic back-up in case it is lost. 🙂

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price

Happy travels everyone!

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card – ordering time online?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.