Swiss Half Fare Card plus Swiss Travel Pass

Swiss Half Fare Card plus Swiss Travel Pass

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Goose
Goose
8 posts
Apr 28, 2017 - 7:32 PM

I plan to purchase a Swiss Half Fare Card to use on days when I don't use my STP. Do I just present the card at a ticket counter for the discount? What do I do if the only way to get a ticket is a machine? Will it ask if I have a discount card? Or what about if purchasing from the driver?

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
1233 posts
top member
Apr 29, 2017 - 2:30 AM in reply to Goose

>> I plan to purchase a Swiss Half Fare Card to use on days when I don't use my STP. Do I just present the card at a ticket counter for the discount?

Yes, you can do that.

>> What do I do if the only way to get a ticket is a machine? Will it ask if I have a discount card?

Yes, part way through the ticket-buying process on a machine, you will be asked to make a selection depending on whether or not you have a half-fare card.

You can practice with a simulated train ticket machine here:

www.sbb.ch/en/iframes/ automatic-ticket-machine-simulation-SBB.html

>> Or what about if purchasing from the driver?

If there is a ticket machine available, you will need a ticket before boarding a train or bus.

For local buses in rural areas you can buy a ticket from the driver if there is no ticket machine at the bus stop. You will need to have your Half-Fare Card ready to show on request. For low-cost fares, the discount might not be quite 50%.

I think most ticket machines accept credit cards as well as cash. Drivers only accept cash, so keeping a selection of coins and CHF 10 notes on hand might be a good idea if you plan to use buses.

Alpenrose

Goose
Goose
8 posts
Apr 29, 2017 - 2:20 PM in reply to Alpenrose666

At a machine do my husband and I have to make a separate purchase, or can we purchase 2 tickets at one time?

Arno
Arno
9668 posts
expert &
Apr 29, 2017 - 7:59 PM in reply to Goose

You can buy two tickets at once, no problem.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017