Swiss Half Fare Card for 10 day stay with car

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
lore
lore
15 posts
Mar 18, 2019 - 8:33 AM

hi I will be travelling by car for 10 days around the areas of Zermatt, Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen to name a few and just wondered if the Swiss Half Fare card would suit, as the Swiss Pass does not. If I purchase the half fare card does it last a full month and then do I just present it when purchasing tickets for trains, boats . I look forward to your replies. Lore

Steph
Steph
1372 posts
top member &
Mar 18, 2019 - 8:55 AM in reply to lore

Hi Lore,

Make sure you read the following pages below to get insight about travelling by car in Switzerland:
- www.myswissalps.com/ca r
- www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain

The Swiss rail system is very practical and works close to perfection connecting most destinations with very good connections.

Should you need to travel by car nevertheless then I believe that the Swiss Half Fare Card is the best option for you for excursions. However, you don't mention any detailed itinerary, so it's a little hard to say.

Check out details of the Swiss Half Fare Card here.
- www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard

Yes, it is valid for a month, starting on your chosen date and you would just need to present it, together with a valid discounted ticket for the journey, whenever a controller ask you to.

To find details of the destinations you mention in your post simply type them into the search bar of this webpage.

In order to plan detailed travel by car and public transport, below links will help:
Train - www.myswissalps.com/ti metable
Car - de.viamichelin.ch/

Hope this answers your questions.

Get back to us for any further input.

Best,
Steph

Last modified on Mar 18, 2019 - 8:57 AM by Steph
lore
lore
15 posts
Mar 18, 2019 - 9:27 PM in reply to Steph

Thank you Steph,

We had already organised a car and we are leaving from Zurich Airport in July, heading to Andermatt then the Cannero Riveria onto Tasch, staying at Zermatt, (we have organised for Car to be parked at Parking Christophe). From here we are going to Lauterbrunnen , day trip to Interlaken and Lake Thun, Lucern and back to Zurich. In all of these places we are staying 2 or 3 nights, accommodation is booked. We join a river cruise from Basel after this lovely drive.

Thank you for the websites , I will study them re driving and will now organise to get a Swiss half day travel pass also.

Lore

lore
lore
15 posts
Mar 19, 2019 - 12:42 AM in reply to Steph

Hello again, which website is it best to get the Swiss Travel Half pass from. I have noted that someone from Klook ?? and another did not receive their emails, so I was wondering where to get it, I am in Australia.

thank you Lore

1960man
1960man
1724 posts
top member
Mar 19, 2019 - 1:52 AM in reply to lore

Yes, I always use a Half Fare card as I have the annual version. It is easy to park at or near any Swiss station and use the train for a single trip or a day's touring round.

The easiest way to buy tickets is at a ticket machine - just choose the '1/2' option. Once on a train you will show your ticket and your half fare card to an inspector who may come along

lore
lore
15 posts
Mar 19, 2019 - 3:45 AM

thank you where should I get the half fare card from online.

Steph
Steph
1372 posts
top member &
Mar 19, 2019 - 6:38 AM in reply to lore

Hi Lore,

Use this link to find purchase options from Australia.

- www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price

Happyrail.com and https://shop.switzerla ndtravelcentre.com seem to be the best options, providing the possibility of e-tickets and thus extra security as you have a digital copy. You always have the option to buy it upon arrival at Swiss rail stations, too.

As 1960man says, when you buy the tickets for your trips once you're here you simply choose the 1/2 price option at the ticketing machines or tell the vendor you need a half fare ticket.

Hope this supports your planning.

Best,
Steph

Last modified on Mar 19, 2019 - 7:14 PM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019