Swiss Half Fare Card and travel with children

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2018 at 6:49:53 #814356

I have attempted to calculate the cost of travel for my stay in Wengen in June to July. Assuming I did it correctly for the 8-10 day period, it would appear that it is most economical for me to get a Swiss Half Fare card.

Here are a number of queries I have with regard to the Swiss Half Fare Card?

1) my husband will be travelling to Wengen with my 12 year old. He pays 50% of the Fare using the pass and my son travels for free with a Swiss family card. Is that correct?

2) I will be travelling with two under 12s from Milan by train. Should I book my journey from Milan to Brig with trenitalia separately and purchase tickets in Brig to Wengen using my Half Fare card? Will the children’s fares be free if I have a Swiss family card?

3) For the cable cars and Journey to Jungfraujoch and Schynige Platte and First or Harder Klum, are the children still able to travel for free or do we need to pay 50% of the child concession rates?

4) Both of us have the Half Fare Card so all children can travel for free back to Geneva Airport?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2018 at 7:49:51 #876267

Hi Neshsemani,

1. Correct
    2. The Swiss Half Fare Card will give you a discount starting from Domodossola (Swiss border town, technically). You can buy a ticket from Milan to Domodossola and then another on to Wengen.

Or, even better buy one ticket for the whole trip here. Be sure to indicate the adult has the Swiss Half Fare Card (list as Halftax or Halbtax under discount and loyalty cards).
      The kids would just need a ticket to Domodossola though with a Swiss Family Card.

3. Yes, the kids will be free everywhere in Switzerland with the Swiss Family Card.
    4. Yes. The kids just need to be with an adult with a valid Swiss rail pass to travel for free on their Swiss Family Card.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2018 at 8:19:32 #876268

Thank you.

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card and travel with children’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.