Swiss Half Fare Card, buying tickets online

• Johs
    Participant
    4 posts
    3 June 2022 at 8:34:13 #827397

Hello. I bought a Swiss Half Fare Card at the airport when I came to Switzerland. I’m completely new to this. I want to buy tickets online. How can I use my Half Fare Card when doing this?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2022 at 9:08:46 #942821

It’s just as easy to go to your nearest station and use one of the standard Swiss automatic ticket machines.

If you do want to buy online you just buy the half fare ticket. You only need your half fare card when the train staff come and check your ticket during a journey

Johs
    Participant
    4 posts
    3 June 2022 at 9:19:28 #942822

Thank you for answering. I have downloaded the SBB app and I have checked the Half-Fare travelcard box, but the prices don’t seem to change to half price. If I check the prices without logging in, they are the same. How do I get the prices to 50%?

Anna
    6382 posts
    3 June 2022 at 10:32:11 #942823

Hi Johs,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

You can find more information about how to use the SBB timetable here: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable, and about using the Swiss Half Fare Card here: https://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/howtouse.

If you have the SBB Mobile App, before you can purchase tickets from the app, you need to create an account, set your profile and payment method, and select half-fare as your ticket option.

Let us know if you need more info.

Regards,

Anna

Johs
    Participant
    4 posts
    3 June 2022 at 10:49:49 #942824

Hi Anna,

Thank you for the answer.

Yes, I have set up the account and selected the half-fare option. But the price doesn’t seem to change from before I logged into the account. It seems to me that, although I have signed in and selected half-fare, the price remains the same as purchasing without half-fare. I would expect that when I create an account and select half-fare, the price would be 50% of the original price.

Anna
    6382 posts
    3 June 2022 at 18:04:57 #942825

Hi Johs,

For your information, the prices on the SBB timetable are half-price by default. So you are looking at the correct prices.

regards,

Anna

Mereytan
    Participant
    1 post
    4 June 2022 at 12:43:51 #942826

Hi, I’m deciding between buying Swiss travel pass or half Fare pass. I’m only travelling for less than 5 days.

can I check if I buy the half fare card, can I use it for airport transfers from Zurich? For the Glacier Express, I have paid to reserve my seat. Do I have to pay extra for tickets? Or the half fare card can cover the full fare for Glacier express?

Johs
    Participant
    4 posts
    4 June 2022 at 13:11:42 #942827

Well, that certainly clears things up.

Thank you Anna, for taking the time. Much appreciated.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 June 2022 at 14:13:42 #942828

Hi Mereytan,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Please open a new thread for your questions here. This is Johs’ thread. Thanks!

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card, buying tickets online’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.