Swiss Half Fare Card for Pilatus & Jungfraujoch

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 11:14:55 #815205

Hi.

We would be be visiting switzerland on 16th june to 22th june.

we will be travelling by car and the swiss half fare card has been recommended on most of the websites and forums. 3 days will be dedicated for the following visits:-

Day 1 – Jungfraujoch

Day 2 – mount pilatus

Day 3 – Berggasthaus Aescher-Wildkirchli

All this 3 spots are required for the use of train and cable cars etc. Therefore im assuming the fare is cheaper with the half fare card.

Correct me if im wrong, with the half fare card, we are required to purchase the ticket at every stop or station?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 15:56:45 #881507

Hi darrenthp and welcome to MySwissalps!

With the Swiss Half Fare Card (SHFC) you get 50% off all trips you make but train or cable car. You will have to buy tickets for each trip you make (and at the station office or ticket machine indicate you have the SHFC to get the proper discount).

If you are in Switzerland though for 7 days, you may want to look at the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass as well. Where else are you staying/visiting?

The Swiss Travel Pass allows for ticket less travel (mostly) and could be cheaper (If you are here for 7 days you’ll most certainly be traveling around more than to just the 3 destinations you mention above.

To know which pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 16:15:55 #881508

Hi Mr Lucas,

Thank you for your reply. I will be attending a conference held in Rapperswill-Jona HSR for 2 days (18/6 & 19/6) . Below is my proposed itinerary so far: –

Arriving on the 16th, and from the airport, we plan to visit Rhine Falls. which after that we would be checking into our hotel at Holiday Inn Schindellegi – Zurichsee.

17/6 – Berggasthaus Aescher-Wildkirchli.

18/6-19/6 – Conference at HSR

19/6 – Check in to Hotel Alpenblick Weggis.

20/6 – Jungrfaujoch / Mount titlis (depending on the weather)

21/6 – Mount pilatus

22/6 – Depart from Zurich.

Thanks for the link, I will definitely check it out. 🙂

Regards

Darren

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 April 2018 at 5:15:48 #881509

Hi Darren,

Looks like a good plan to me! Yes, do check the weather before going to any of the peaks. In case of bad weather there will be plenty of alternatives in Lucerne and Zurich, or even a boat trip will often be fine.

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card for Pilatus & Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.