Swiss Half Fare Card from Heidelberg to Basel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2016 at 4:05:52 #808291

Hi,

We will be travelling from heidelberg to basel. I intend to get my hfc in basel. I read that for swiss – germany leg, hfc will give 50% discount on swiss leg, and 25% discount on germany leg. May I know if we should buy the tickets in advance in de bann, or should we buy from sbb? Can we buy the ticket on spot in heidelberg to qualify for the discount?

Is it necessary to buy the hfc card in advanced to qualify for the discount from germany to Switzerland?

Thank you very much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 January 2016 at 6:47:53 #847805

Hi ocolocorch,

You will get a 50% discount on the Swiss leg, but there’s no discount in Germany (see here). That only applies to one year Swiss Half fare Cards for Swiss residents.

What’s your final destination that day? Basel is on the border so there’s no “Swiss leg” in that trip. Well, the 2 km from the border to the Basel SBB station is technically a Swiss leg, but that would not make a major difference, if any. As for the German leg: you can buy a ticket from Heidelberg to Basel online through several websites, including http://www.bahn.com. I would prefer that over a last minute ticket at the station because I would like to have seat reservations. The other places you can buy from are listed on myswissalps.com/ traintickets/germany/ price.

The Swiss Half Fare Card can be purchased online too, through the SBB site at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en (or any of the sites listed at myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard/pric e). You can simply print it at home and use it immediately, so that’s more efficient than spending time to get it from a ticket office.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2016 at 6:56:17 #847806

Hi Arno,

Thanks for recommending to get the HFC online and glad to know it’s printable and usable immediately upon arrival.

Our day itinerary goes like this: morning train from heidelberg to basel, we will stopover to tour basel and depart basel to bern at night on the same day. Can you please advise how should i get my tickets with my HFC?

Do I get a separate tickets from heidelberg to basel, and then basel to bern, or get a direct ticket from heidelberg to bern? We hope to save on transportation with the HFC. But we realised for heidelberg to basel, the super saver fares are slightly cheaper. M confused.

Thank you.

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 January 2016 at 7:13:31 #847807

Hi ocolocorch,

If you break your trip in Basel I’d recommend to buy the ticket Heidelberg – Basel online through the sites I mentioned, and the discounted ticket Basel – Bern from one of the many ticketing machines at the station in Basel. 50% discount is often displayed as “1/2” on the machines, so that would be good to know. As you already have your Swiss Half Fare Card in hand this would be a quick process.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2016 at 7:25:12 #847808

Hi Arno,

Thank you for your advise.

Last question. For the super saver fare ticket, we have to board a specific train. Pls see attached I have found. From heidelberg departing in 709am, must we board that specific S bahn train or can we board an earlier train, we are worried 11 mins transfer is too short. I know that for the ICE train, it has to be specific. Just want to be sure that if S bahn can we choose to depart early? Thanks alot!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2016 at 7:34:32 #847809

Hi Arno,

I also did a search to travel from heidelberg to bern with a stopover at basel, it cost similar and it’s fully flexible at €128.90. Did I choose correctly for half fare card name Halbtaxabo Without rail plus?

If we get the super saver fare, it will cost €88 (specific train)+ chf 40 (basel to bern for 2 with HFC)

So in this case will it make more sense to get the direct train from heidelberg to bern, while stopover at basel for a few hours at €128.90? Pls see attached. Just to confirm this particular ticket we can stopover for a few hours in basel.

Please advise thanks!

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 January 2016 at 10:00:13 #847810

Hi ocolocorch,

You can’t select Halbtaxabo. That assumes the one year card while you will have the one month tourist version. Although there’s a chance nobody will notice that, I would not take the risk.

I don’t know all the details about German rail tickets, but normally if you don’t have seats booked for a train (e.g. the S-Bahn), you can take any other train that day as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2016 at 10:11:01 #847811

Hi Arno,

Thanks so much for informing me! Luckily i never booked thinking that i m right!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2016 at 23:09:39 #847812

Hi Arno,

I have some enquiry regarding the Sbb ticket system.

I realised that there is a saver fare option for basel sbb to bern at chf10. As a tourist with tourist HFC can i buy that? I also saw quite a few other routes that we are going for eg bern to zermatt also have saver fare options. Can we get those with the HFC as well? Thanks alot!

Arno
    15483 posts
    20 January 2016 at 6:30:33 #847813

Ho cocolocorch,

You probably mean the Supersaver tickets. They’re available for Swiss Half Fare Card holders too. These tickets are for one specific train only and not refundable. More information is here: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/discounts.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2016 at 6:31:48 #847814

Hi Arno,

Thank you very much!

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card from Heidelberg to Basel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.