How to use Swiss Half Fare Card when buying ticket

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2017 at 20:11:49 #813204

Hello everyone, I’m having difficulty understanding the purchase & use of the Swiss Half Fare Card, and how this discount can be applied when purchasing train tickets online as offered on the SBB website, and hope that the experienced travelers here can help! I have found the option(s) to PURCHASE a Half Fare Card, but do not understand how this Card and discount can be applied when I am purchasing train tickets online. I don’t see any “Half Fare Card” options for discounts when purchasing tickets online, although others are offered (i.e. the Halbtax, GA etc.) which do not suit our needs.

We are 3 adults arriving in Zurich 9/18, then traveling from Luterbach to Como, Italy on the 20th. We are also seeking train fare from Como to Zurich on the 22nd, then Zurich back to Luterbach on the 23rd.

Is the Half Fare Card worth the purchase? And, if so, HOW do I apply this card’s discount when I purchase our train tickets? Our hotels in Como and Zurich are reserved, so our travel dates are inflexible there and I wish to purchase our tickets ahead of time. We also have a few days in Luterbach before we depart for Como, and after Zurich before we return to the US on the 29th.

Any help/advice is most appreciated, thank you!

Paige

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 September 2017 at 7:23:00 #869554

Hi Paige,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

The SBB website is geared to Swiss residents so it does not show any of the tourists train passes. For trips within Switzerland it is safe to pick Halbtax though. Or you can buy tickets from one of the other websites which does apply the actual Swiss Half Fare Card, like http://www.happyrail.com/en/s witzerland-by-train (click the passenger icon in the top to apply a discount card).

Whether the Swiss Half Fare Card is worth the purchase depends on how much you travel and can be calculated as explained here. It often is worth it, but if you travel a lot, the Swiss Travel Pass offers more savings and more convenience (less tickets to buy along the way).

Both the Swiss Half Fare Card and Swiss Travel Pass can be printed at home:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2017 at 12:10:05 #869555

Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to post a reply! I will certainly investigate the information that you’ve offered-

Thanks again and have a good day,

Paige

• The thread ‘How to use Swiss Half Fare Card when buying ticket’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.