Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Swiss Half Fare Card with a regional pass

Swiss Half Fare Card with a regional pass

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Navymom
Navymom
32 posts
Feb 5, 2020 - 10:12 PM

I’ve been extensively working on the excel spread sheet to figure out which is the best pass or combination of passes for our 12 night Sept trip to Switzerland. Our current itinerary is 3 nights Luzern, 5 nights Wengen, 3 nights Thun, 1 night Zurich before our flight home. I’ve researched & priced a lot of the things we want to see & do, but still have 1 “open” day in each of the 3 stops to give us flexibility. I’m sure we will have thoughts for each of those days the closer we get to the trip.

IF I’ve researched everything right the cost of travel & sightseeing with the Swiss 1/2 fare card is $515 per person.

The cost of travel & sightseeing with the Swiss Half Fare Card AND a 10 day Regional Pass Bernese Oberland is $565 per person, so $50 more person.

Any thoughts on which would be better to get? Is it easier to travel with just the 1/2 fare card or the 1/2 fare card combined with the regional pass?

Thank you,

rockoyster
rockoyster
8888 posts
expert
Feb 6, 2020 - 2:18 AM in reply to Navymom

You only seem to have 8 nights in the Bernese Oberland. Have you costed an option using an 8-day Regional Pass Bernese Oberland?

It's difficult to comment without seeing your calculations but if the difference is $50 I'd opt for the flexibility of the RPBO. You will probably end up going to more places and doing more things just because you can "for free".

You have factored in the 25% discount you get off the RPBO with the Swiss Half Fare Card, right?

Navymom
Navymom
32 posts
Feb 6, 2020 - 3:38 PM

I thought Luzern, Wengen & Thun were all covered under the Regional Pass, which would give us 11 nights in the Bernese Oberland. With our tentative itinerary, I'm presuming on my 3 "open" days that we'll be doing something that will require transportation.

I did NOT know about the 25% discount on the RPBO with the 1/2 fare card. That changes my pricing to:

the cost of travel & sightseeing with the Swiss 1/2 fare card is $515 per person.

The cost of travel & sightseeing with the Swiss Half Fare Card AND a 8 day Regional Pass Bernese Oberland is $467 per person.

The cost of travel & sightseeing with the Swiss Half Fare Card AND a 10 day Regional Pass Bernese Oberland is $489 per person.

IF my calculations are correct, getting the 10 day RPBO with the 1/2 fare card would make the most sense.

Ildiko
Ildiko
990 posts
top member &
Feb 6, 2020 - 6:16 PM in reply to Navymom

Hi Navymom,

Within the Bernese Oberland region (www.myswissalps.com/berneseoberland) trains to Lucerne, Thun and Wengen are covered with the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland, although for example Pilatus is not. (Actually the only mountain that is discounted in the Lake Lucerne area is Titlis.) Please study the validity map at www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/validity.

The most important that you've found the best option for you, Swiss Half Fare Card with the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland sounds good. You can buy them at www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price and www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/price.

Ildiko

Also see:

Last modified on Feb 7, 2020 - 6:58 AM by Annika
rockoyster
rockoyster
8888 posts
expert
Feb 6, 2020 - 7:34 PM in reply to Navymom

There you go. 😎

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020