Swiss Half Fare Card with children for Jungfrau

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 12:47:42 #815601

Hello, I have a query about the Swiss Half Fare card. My understanding is that if we get the Swiss Family card with it (free of charge), a child goes free when accompanied by at least one parent with Swiss Half fare card & discounted ticket. When I book for a train journey from Wengen to Jungfrau on the Jungfrau website, it does not give me an option for a free child ticket. It has an option for a Swiss Half card and that I take for the adult parent. How do I book a child ticket that is free of cost. Or is it that for the Jungfrau trip, the child pays the half price?

Thanks & regards,

Raj

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 13:25:04 #883571

Hi Raj, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

A child entitled to free travel doesn’t need any sort of ticket. Just show your Swiss Family Card when asked.

The Jungfrau website isn’t particularly clear on this point, but if you download the current timetable from the following page, and read the first page under the heading Buy tickets online at jungfrau.ch/shop, it says: Swiss Family Card valid.

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/prices-and-brochures/

However, it’s definitely not a good idea to buy your ticket more than 24-48 hours in advance. If it turns out that the weather is not suitable, or the Jungfraujoch is in the clouds, you will not see anything and cannot get a refund on your ticket or exchange it for another day.

What time of year are you travelling?

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2018 at 6:55:38 #883572

Hello Alpenrose, thank you for your reply. I’m glad I’m not alone in thinking that it is a little confusing. I will take a look at the links. We are traveling in July but I am just getting the required information. Didn’t want to assume that my 13 year old will not require a ticket from Wengen to Jungfrau when traveling with an adult with a Swiss Family card. Will contact for any further information. Thanks again.

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card with children for Jungfrau’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.