Swiss Half Fare Card with Family Card &Super Saver

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 15:34:02 #816444

Hello,

After scouring the website and forums here, I’m planning to purchase Swiss Half Fare cards for my husband and me and getting a Swiss Family Travel card for my children. I would like to purchase a Super Saver ticket for our last day’s journey and want to make sure I purchase the correct number of tickets. Does my 8 year old travel for free on the Family card if my husband and I are traveling on Super Saver tickets? I looked at the T&C on the SBB website, but didn’t see the answer. If I need to book him his on super saver ticket, I will.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 19:52:37 #887371

Hi Rbrown31516 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

No, your children only travel free on the Swiss Family Card if you are traveling on the Swiss Half Fare Card.

However, If you select the Super Saver ticket and select that you also have the half fare travelcard (which you do for all intents and purposes) then it could work for you if the fare gets discounted again. Good question which I can’t answer for sure.

Is the Super Saver Ticket much cheaper than just buying the 1/2 fare price?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 21:21:50 #887372

Thanks for your reply.

The half price tickets are 33.60 chf and the Super Saver tickets for half fare card holders are 16.80 chf. Without the Half Fare Card, the Super Saver ticket is 33.60. Since the Super Saver ticket is discounted for Half Fare card holders, do you think that would qualify for free child travel with the Family Travel Card?

I emailed SBB to ask the question, so I’d have a definitive answer and I will update here if I hear back from them.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 June 2018 at 21:24:28 #887373

Don’t forget Supersaver Tickets are train (as opposed to route) specific. If your plans change and you can’t make the specific train you will need to buy new tickets. Also availability of Supersaver Tickets for any particular trip is not guaranteed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 21:54:00 #887374

Yes, I know they are train specific. We want to travel on a particular train on our last day in Switzerland. Thank you for the reminder, though.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 June 2018 at 21:59:38 #887375

Good idea to confirm with SBB re SFC. I’m predicting they will say it is fine.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 5:52:03 #887376

Yes, my assumption would be it is fine as well. You are getting a discount on the Super Saver with your Swiss Half Fare Card and therefore are using it for that days travel (which then allows you to use the Swiss Family Card for the kids). 95% you are good to go. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 13:19:35 #887377

Just to update…

SBB replied to my inquiry that my children would be able to travel free while my husband and I travel on Supersaver tickets purchased using the Half Fare card discount.

I was able to buy our Super Saver tickets from Lucerne to Lugano (via Airolo) for 9.80 chf each. The standard half price ticket for that route was about 30 chf.

Thanks for the input from the experts here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 16:25:00 #887378

Super! You got a great price and good to confirm 100% that that will indeed work for the kids.

Happy Travels!

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card with Family Card &Super Saver’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.