Swiss Half Fare Card questions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 9:19:41 #815424

I have calculated the costs of the Swiss Travel 8 Day Pass and Swiss Half Fare pass and I save Euro 130 if I buy the Swiss Half Fare Pass. A few Questions –

1) If I buy any Ticket using Swiss Half Fare Pass, do I have flexibility of taking any train connection on the booked route on the Travel Date or are the Tickets Train specific ( ie; fixed timings).

2) If I book a ticket from Lauterbrunnen to Schilthorn , would the ticket include Cable Car and Train Journeys ? or we have to book separately.

Like wise Luzern to Mt.Tiltis

3) If I buy a return ticket to any destination , the return timing can be flexibile ?

4) Tickets need to be validated before journey or we can ride the train directly ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 18:41:47 #882689

Hi Amalfi,

1. Yes, the ticket is valid for any departure that day
    2. It will include the whole trip if you buy a ticket to Schilthorn
      Likewise for Titlis
    3. Yes
    4. No validation required 🙂
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 2:21:34 #882690

>> If I book a ticket from Lauterbrunnen to Schilthorn , would the ticket include Cable Car and Train Journeys ? or we have to book separately. Like wise Luzern to Mt.Tiltis

As far as I know, you can only buy cable car tickets at the cable car stations, i.e. at Stechelberg or Mürren for the Schilthorn, or at the gondola valley station in Engelberg for Titlis. I don’t think they can be combined with other transport into a single-trip ticket.

Tickets bought anywhere else (e.g. online) need to be swapped at the cable car ticket office for a ticket that can be read by the electronic reader on the turnstile gate, through which you need to pass before boarding cable cars.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 4:58:17 #882691

Lucas – Appreciate your prompt reply. Thank You.

As per Alpenrose666 – We have to Buy Cable Car tickets at Cable Car stations . So for Lucerne to Titlis – we need to first buy Train ticket to Engleberg and then Cable Car ticket at Engleberg for Titlis separately ?

Likewise for Lauterbrunnen to Murren and Murren to Schilthorn ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 5:05:50 #882692

Alpenrose – So if I buy a ticket online on SBB- for the Train section , I can travel with the online ticket and for Cable Car rides , get them exchanged for card readable physical tickets ?

How easy or time consuming is this exchange of online ticket for physical tickets . Most transfers times are 4-5 minutes only as per SBB timetable. Is that enough time to get the physical ticket ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 5:25:55 #882693

>> So for Lucerne to Titlis – we need to first buy Train ticket to Engleberg and then Cable Car ticket at Engleberg for Titlis separately ? Likewise for Lauterbrunnen to Murren and Murren to Schilthorn ?

Yes for both. You buy your cable car tickets at the cable car stations, not at the railway stations.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 5:39:28 #882694

>> So if I buy a ticket online on SBB- for the Train section , I can travel with the online ticket

Yes. But you have to either print it out or display it on a mobile device, so make sure to keep the battery charged if you don’t have a paper copy.

It is probably just as easy to use the ticket machine at the station before boarding your train. You just need to buy a ticket for the whole train/bus journey, regardless of how many transfers you need to make between your starting point and destination.

>> and for Cable Car rides , get them exchanged for card readable physical tickets ? How easy or time consuming is this exchange of online ticket for physical tickets . Most transfers times are 4-5 minutes only as per SBB timetable. Is that enough time to get the physical ticket ?

I’m not suggesting you buy your cable car tickets online – in fact, I would advise against it, because you will have wasted your money if the weather turns out to be unsuitable. It’s best to buy them at the cable car station before going up, after you have seen that the weather is clear enough.

I was simply trying to make a point, that even if you do buy them online (against my advice) it won’t save you much time, because you will still have to queue at the ticket office to exchange the online ticket for one with a magnetic strip.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card questions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.