About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Swiss hiking holiday in July with trains
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Swiss hiking holiday in July with trains

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Katrien
Katrien
2 posts
May 6, 2021 - 12:14 PM

Hi,

I am planning a train trip in July 2021

But I can use some help. We are both mid thirty and like hiking.

1. Fly to Zürich. Train to Luzern

2. Daytrip to Engelberg

3. daytrip to Bern

4. Daytrip to Stoos and Mount Rigi

5. Train Luzern to Schwanden

6+ 7 hiking Elm region

8 Train Schwanden to Appenzell

9+10 hiking near Appenzell

11. Train Apenzell to Stein am Rhine

12. Train Stein am Rhine to Zurich airport

This is the idea, But I am not sure from day 5 until the end.

We are looking for 2 mountain villages for a base to start hiking. We are not looking for big/famous resort villages. The region in Swiss doesn t matter. It must be reachable by train/bus. We are not looking for bucket list hikes

What villages come to your mind?

thanks a lot

Ildiko
Ildiko
1120 posts
top member &
May 6, 2021 - 1:22 PM in reply to Katrien

Hi Katrien and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can search here for hiking routes in Switzerland: www.myswissalps.com/hiking (usually you find the most famous ones there). If you are looking for a less famous in Elm, try here: www.outdooractive.com/en/hiking-routes/elm/hiking-in-elm/1462745/ and www.komoot.com/guide/8019/hiking-around-elm.

For Appenzell: www.outdooractive.com/en/hiking-routes/appenzell/hiking-in-appenzell/3584016/ and www.komoot.com/guide/8051/hiking-around-appenzell.

Regarding the accommodation, you could stay in Glaurus: https://www.hotelscombined.com/Place/Glarus.htm and in Appenzell: https://www.hotelscombined.com/Place/Appenzell.htm

One tipp: If you are going to Stein am Rhine, you might want to visit the Rhein Falls too (in Schaffhausen, close to Stein am Rhine): www.myswissalps.com/rhinefalls

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

Recommended accommodation in Lucerne: www.myswissalps.com/lucerne/hotels and www.myswissalps.com/lucerne/rentals

Learn more about the Lake Lucerne region: www.myswissalps.com/lakelucerne

lbiggs020260
lbiggs020260
23 posts
May 6, 2021 - 7:48 PM

I would suggest you look at the Jungfrau region staying in Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen or even Wengen or Murren. Really beautiful area with lots of hiking opportunities of varying length and duration. Can give recommendations if you would like them - just tell me more about what you are looking for (I’ve been waking regularly in this area for more than 50 years!).

Laurence

Katrien
Katrien
2 posts
May 7, 2021 - 10:30 AM in reply to lbiggs020260

Thanks for the information

@Laurence

We are looking for less popular hikes. ( I know in July :-) ). The location is not the most important. As long as it is not to crowded. And reachable with public transport.

We like dayhikes 4-7 hours walking. No problem to walk up and down. Nice views are always nice. Grassfield,... The hikes can be a little adventures ( crambling over rock, passing over a river with stones, But not a real via ferratta :-) )

thanks a lot

Anna
Anna
1121 posts
top member &
May 7, 2021 - 2:10 PM in reply to Katrien

Hi Katrien,

If you are staying in Appenzell, I would recommend hiking at Hoher Kasten. It's not as famous as the other mountains. You can find hiking options from the website here: www.hoherkasten.ch/en/explore/activities/hiking

Elm has plenty of hiking trails too. Last year I took my kids to explore the Giant Forest Trail and we really enjoyed it. Both of these are easily reached by public transport.

Best regards,

Anna

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021