Swiss Travel Pass to Italy

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2017 at 14:34:58 #811489

Hi Everyone,

Would like to have few clarifcations before I booking my Travel Pass?

1. Can I use tram with Swiss Travel Pass for traveling from the airport to my accommodation in Zurich ?

2. Can I use the Swiss Travel Pass for travel to Milan, Italy ?Am I able to get off and do some sightseeing in Italy? Do I need to have EuroRail Pass since its 2 countries?

Look forward to your response.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2017 at 14:46:54 #861924

Hi SwissItaly and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Yes, but if this is the only trip you are taking this day I wouldn’t use the pass – tickets are only about 3 chf from Zurich airport to downtown Zurich.
    2. The Swiss Travel Pass is only valid within Switzerland. You can buy a Eurail Select pass for both countries if you are planning to travel by train in Italy frequently as well. Otherwise just buy a ticket from the Swiss border town (changes depending on your route) to Milan.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2017 at 16:11:06 #861925

Thanks for quick reply Lucas.

Quick question – If I purchased Eurail Select Pass for Italy/Switzerland. Does that include Swiss Travel Pass or do I have to purchase separate STP? Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2017 at 9:01:45 #861926

>> Quick question – If I purchased Eurail Select Pass for Italy/Switzerland. Does that include Swiss Travel Pass or do I have to purchase separate STP?

The Eurail Select Pass and the Swiss Travel Pass are two entirely separate products. The Swiss Travel Pass offers much better coverage for Switzerland, particularly in regard to mountain transport, boat trips, PostBus trips and local transport.

If you purchase a Swiss Travel Pass, you would not need to include Switzerland in your Eurail Pass. Depending on how much train travel you intend to do in Italy, you might be better off buying point-to-point tickets instead of a Eurail Pass.

The Swiss Travel Pass does include some routes that travel into Italy, such as:

• The scenic Centovalli Railway from Locarno to Domodossola
    • The scenic PostBus trip over the Simplon Pass from Brig to Domodossola
    • The Bernina Express train from Chur to Tirano, and the associated bus service between Tirano and Lugano
    • The Palm Express scenic PostBus trip from Lugano to St Moritz, via Menaggio on Lake Como
    • Some PostBus routes in the Engadin.

You can download maps showing what is covered by each pass. As explained in the legend on the maps, red lines are trains, yellow lines are buses, black lines are cable cars, white lines are boats. Solid lines are free, dotted lines are discounted, mostly by 50%, but only 25% in the Jungfrau region.

Swiss Travel Pass coverage

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Eurail Pass coverage

http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railselectpass/validit y

http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam /infrastruktur/trafima ge/karten/karte-geltungsbereich-InterRail-EuRail.pdf

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass to Italy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.