Apr 22, 2017 - 9:01 AM
in reply to SwissItaly
>> Quick question - If I purchased Eurail Select Pass for Italy/Switzerland. Does that include Swiss Travel Pass or do I have to purchase separate STP?
The Eurail Select Pass and the Swiss Travel Pass are two entirely separate products. The Swiss Travel Pass offers much better coverage for Switzerland, particularly in regard to mountain transport, boat trips, PostBus trips and local transport.
If you purchase a Swiss Travel Pass, you would not need to include Switzerland in your Eurail Pass. Depending on how much train travel you intend to do in Italy, you might be better off buying point-to-point tickets instead of a Eurail Pass.
The Swiss Travel Pass does include some routes that travel into Italy, such as:
- The scenic Centovalli Railway from Locarno to Domodossola
- The scenic PostBus trip over the Simplon Pass from Brig to Domodossola
- The Bernina Express train from Chur to Tirano, and the associated bus service between Tirano and Lugano
- The Palm Express scenic PostBus trip from Lugano to St Moritz, via Menaggio on Lake Como
- Some PostBus routes in the Engadin.
You can download maps showing what is covered by each pass. As explained in the legend on the maps, red lines are trains, yellow lines are buses, black lines are cable cars, white lines are boats. Solid lines are free, dotted lines are discounted, mostly by 50%, but only 25% in the Jungfrau region.
Swiss Travel Pass coverage
Eurail Pass coverage
www.myswissalps.com/eu railselectpass/validit y
www.sbb.ch/content/dam /infrastruktur/trafima ge/karten/karte-geltungsbereich-InterRail-EuRail.pdf
Last modified on Apr 22, 2017 - 10:11 AM by Arno