Swiss Iternary help (Interlaken & Luzern)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2015 at 17:03:03 #807250

HI All,

I am planning a trip to swiss and staying for 4 nights. two nights zurich and one in interlaken and one in luzern, I have bought interrail pass for three days.

1. I Will visit interlaken from zurich and stay overnight cover the brinez lake and aare gorge and falls in the afternoon. As my evening will be free so want some advice what i can explore in the evening via normal train with my pass. One option that can be from interlaken ost to cateau-d-oex via Zweisimmen and back via thun and interlaken ost. Please suggest as i am looking for a scenic route that i can explore if i should travel on some other route.

2. Similarly i am also staying in luzern and on my way back to zurich i would like to travel to a scenic route via train confused on this one also where should i go from luzern. Please suggest.

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Raza

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    19 May 2015 at 5:59:53 #843180

Hello Raza!

Your schedule for the day with Lake Brienz, the Aare gorge and the falls (I’m not sure which ones you mean) looks quite full. I wouldn’t plan an additional evening trip if I were you. You can best check traveling times in the timetable to find out how long your journeys will take. If you do want to make a train ride, you could indeed travel along Lake Thun, either all the way to Thun or from Spiez to Zweisimmen and back. That’s certainly scenic.

The general route from Lucerne to Zurich is nice, but not particularly scenic. If you have time, you could travel a part of the Voralpen Express, which heads north-east from Lucerne, before actually traveling to Zurich. You could go as far as Wollerau along Lake Zurich, for example.

Tips for activities in and near Zurich can be found on our Lucerne page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2015 at 8:38:16 #843181

Hi Annika,

Thanks for your response. Will do the evening trip if i got free early and have time. regarding your second suggestion can i travel on the regular train on this route or do i have to follow any specific train for that. Was also thinking of taking a train to St.Gallen from luzern is this the same route.

Annika
    7103 posts
    19 May 2015 at 14:52:51 #843182

Hi Raza. Lucerne-St. Gallen is indeed called the Voralpen Express route. The trains that run here are actually normal regional trains, so you don’t need a specific (scenic) train or seat reservations.

• The thread ‘Swiss Iternary help (Interlaken & Luzern)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.