Thoughts 8 day itinerary Lauterbrunnen & Lucerne?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 22:34:43 #814899

Hi Guys – thanks for helping me with my questions in train travel, i am back with my itineary now. please need your inputs and any recommendations . i will be arriving in 1st week of june.

Day 1 – Arrive in basel at about 2 pm by TGV lyria . change train and head to lauterbrunne (use this as base).

Day 2 – Go to schilthorn.

day 3 – Jungfraujoch. in the evening head to lucerne (lucerne as base).

day 4 – mt titlis

day 5 lucerne. in the evening head out for zurich (zurich as base).

day – 6 berninia expres

day – 7 – spend time in zurich

day 8 – move to paris

My questions:

1 .does the itineary look ok?

2. am i overkilling it by visiting 3 mountains – jungfraujoch, schilthorn and titlis?

3. would the train tickets be cheaper if i book early? i already have a swiss half fare card.

4. am i missing out on something which is really a must see?

thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 0:57:31 #879473

There is no real need to do Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch. Jungfraujoch is overhyped, very expensive, and a bit like a theme park nowadays.

You get a great view of the ‘big 3’ Eiger Mönch and Jungfrau from Mürren/Schilthorn anyway

Note that the Bernina railway is a long way from Zürich, a 10 hour day at least

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 7:25:27 #879474

Hi niktravel,

1. Yes, it looks fine. Except the Bernina Express route – possible but as 1960man points out a very long day. Use the SBB timetable here to plan out the routes and make sure you are comfortable with the schedules.
    2. Hmmm perhaps? What I would do is visit the mountain on day 2 that has the best weather (if any). Then on day 3, if you want visit the other mountain if the weather looks good. If you only see 1 of those mountains (Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn) you’ll be fine.
    3. No they aren’t cheaper if booked early in Switzerland – wait for the weather to look good for the mountains as well.
    4. Assuming your main interest is visiting mountains you’ll be happy with that itinerary.

If you decide you don’t want to spend the time trying to do the Bernina Express you can at least do the following: Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken Ost –> then the Lucerne- Interlaken Express train to Lucerne (part of the Golden Pass route) and then the Voralpen Express to St. Gallen and then on to Zurich. The train route is quite nice though not quite as special as the Bernina route.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 March 2018 at 8:45:58 #879475

Howdy niktravel,

If you want to do the Bernina Express Zurich to Zurich in a day check this http://www.rhb.ch/en/tickets-travelcards/promotions /gotthard-bernina-circular-tour#c26401.

It’s 10 hours as 1960man says but how many times are you going to be in Switzerland?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2018 at 16:26:09 #879476

thanks 196oman, lucas and rockoyster. i know berninia is a long day but then probably as rockoyster says – how many times am i going to be in swiss so will go for it. just one more question. assuming i do just one mountain and plan to add one of the two out of matterhorn or chateau de chillon which would you recommend – is matterhorn very different from other mountains and is chateau worth over the original itineary?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2018 at 18:04:16 #879477

With the Matterhorn you don’t actual go on the mountain – you can only access nearby mountains (Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn) for the best views of the Matterhorn.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2018 at 23:40:40 #879478

My opinions:

Titlis is not worth a whole day

Matterhorn is spectacular and iconic – well worth a day in Zermatt. You might even be able to fit in bot the Gornergrat (rack railway) and Klein Matterhorn (cable car). The view from the Klein Matterhorn is incredible.

Klein_Matterhorn_-_Zermatt_-_Switzerland_-_2005_-_04.JPG

If you want to visit Chillon, you might as well return to Paris on a TGV from Lausanne or Geneva.

Geneva is a nice city (I have close relatives living there since 1947…)

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 March 2018 at 3:13:23 #879479

Hi 1960man,

You have a problem with your picture posting.

Have you tried adding them using the “Add attachments” button below the reply edit box? Max size 1 Mb for attachments.

• The thread ‘Thoughts 8 day itinerary Lauterbrunnen & Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.