Swiss mountain pass with deciduous trees

• MICHDEEP
    Participant
    2 posts
    25 September 2021 at 4:43:49 #826134

Hi, Will be in switzerland from 4 to 11 October. Wantedbto know which mountain passes have the highest concentration of deciduous trees which change color.Planning on brunig and susten pass but have read a review which says oberalp pass also looks beautiful in autumn.So should I do grimsel and oberalp instead of brunig and susten?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    25 September 2021 at 8:40:20 #936707

Hi MICHDEEP,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

To be honest, I’m not sure which mountain pass in Switzerland has what you are looking for. I think all of them looks beautiful in autumn. However do take note that some mountain passes are only accessible between June and October. See here under closed passes: http://www.myswissalps.com/car/trafficinfo

Have a look at this sample itinerary to give you some ideas which mountain pass to visit during your trip: http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/doityourself/sampleitineraries/passroadsdrivingtour

You might also find these practical tips useful for your road trip: http://www.myswissalps.com/car/drivinginthemountains

Hope this helps and gets you started.

Regards,

Anna

MICHDEEP
    Participant
    2 posts
    25 September 2021 at 9:00:10 #936708

Hi Anna, Thank you very much for your response! Actually my original plan was to travel from 18 to 25 October but read a lot of reviews which say that there are chances of more rain and fog that time.So changed to 4 to 11 october.We are interested mainly in autumn colors and driving.So just trying to add more mountain passes or villages with an altitude of 1500 m as I have been told that colors will be visible at 1500m in October first week.Will have a look at the links you have given.Also based on your experience if you could let me know few places where autumn colors will be at its best within my itenirary, will be great. I am fine making changes to the itenirary as well.

Day 1 – Arrive in Zurich Airport t 1:30pm and Stay at Montbovan – A short visit to Gruyeres

Day 2 – Gruyeres / Vevey old town / Drive through the Lavaux wine region. Planned route as follows: Gruyeres – Vevey – Chexbres – Lutry – Epesses – Route du vignoble – Saint Saphorin – will spend sometime in sant saphorin

Day 3 – Check out from Montbovan and drive through col des mosses and visit Sannen – Drive through Jaun Pass – check in at Affoltern I’m emmental

Day 4 – Check out and drive through brunig pass and visit Isletwald and then visit Spiez – stay in aeschi bei spiez

Day 5 – Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald

Day 6 – Check out from Aeschi bei spiez and drive to grimsel pass and oberalp pass before heading to Zurich airport for PCR around 4 or 5pm .Visit agerisee before pcr if time permits

Stay at Herisau

Day 7 – Mt ebanalp – Aescher – Appenzell (Optional – St Gallen – depending on time)

Day 8 – Bobsleigh at Kronberg and head to Zurich airport for departure.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 September 2021 at 17:28:10 #936709

Hi Michdeep,

This might be of interest to you: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/tip-finding-the-prettiest-swiss-autumn-colors

Anna
    6382 posts
    25 September 2021 at 19:07:25 #936710

Hi MICHDEEP,

Based on my experience, the best autumn views are above the tree line (so 1500m is just about right). Without changing your itinerary, I think your best chance (maybe) are along the Brunig Pass (watch out for the Lungernsee lookout), Sattel Höckstuckli above Agerisee and Mt Ebenalp (Seealpsee). The Lavaux vineyards also look amazing in autumn.

The link Arno provided is probably more accurate and useful to help you to plan your road trip.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Swiss mountain pass with deciduous trees’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.