Swiss point to point ticket buy in advance?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 16:45:57 #816544

I have a Swiss Pass for 8 days… the first day we are going to use it is on June 29th…..which means the last day it is valid for us is July 6th. (8 days)… since we have one more travel day on July 7th from Murren to Zurich…. should we purchase a train ticket in advance or simply pay when we arrive at the station? What is the most cost effective solution here?

On this topic…. what website URL OR Mobile app would be recommended for my wife and I to use when traveling in Switzerland to find train routes/time options?

It is our first time and don’t want to get stranded somewhere with no tickets so apologies for these basic questions. Do we need to book tickets in advance for trains/seats or can we simply show up to get on trains?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 17:18:17 #887853

Hi MWD and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can buy tickets online here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/traintickets/swi tzerland or at Murren before boarding the train. Reservations are not made/needed on that route, nor 98% of train routes in Switzerland.

By far the best app is the official SBB app for Swiss railways. you can find it on Google Play or the Apple store.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 June 2018 at 23:17:38 #887854

You might want to look at a Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details and bit.ly/2rkekat) for your last day.

You would need to buy between 30 an 10 days out from travel date to get best price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 7:39:43 #887855

Hey rock you can now buy the Saver Day Pass up to 60 days out! 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 June 2018 at 8:17:45 #887856

Cool!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 0:34:36 #887857

Hello all,

I am having difficulty buying 5 saver day passes online using my credit card. It kept telling me “payment authorization rejected”. Does anyone know what is wrong? I don’t think the bank rejected the transaction because I would have received a notification on my cell phone from the bank. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 2:07:39 #887858

I had the same problem… called my credit card company and they said it was a problem with website and not on their side. 🙁

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 June 2018 at 3:37:21 #887859

It seems to be something of a regular occurrence with overseas purchases on some credit cards.

• The thread ‘Swiss point to point ticket buy in advance?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.