Swiss Pass or Eurail for Milan, Lucerne, Zermatt?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 15:57:43 #815253

Hi, My itinerary of Italy and Switzerland travel is below. 1)Wonder which train pass (Swiss pass or Eurail pass) is better for the trip. 2) How to use the pass to reserve the special train like Glacier Express and Bernina Express; and 3) when and where should seats be reserved? What’s the latest time?

May 10-14 Italy travel, from Milan to Luzern

May 15 -16 Luzern – Interlaken

May 17 Interlaken – Zermatt

May 18 Zermatt – Chur (Glacier Express)

May 19 Chur – Tirano (Bernina Express) – Milan (Italy train)

May 20-25 Italy travel.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 18:44:47 #881881

Hi dcheung, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

1. You should read “How to choose the best travel pass”. Based on your itinerary you need to do the sums based on the cost of all your planned trips on trains, boats, cable cars etc. The page has a spreadsheet to help you.
    2. You can make reservations for the Glacier Express and the Bernina Express without having purchased a rail pass yet.
    3. In general you can reserve seats 90 days prior to your travel date. Sometimes sooner, but that depends on the retailer. We have retailers listed on our website: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations/price. I wouldn’t wait too long with making reservations.

I hope this helps.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2018 at 16:01:51 #881882

Thanks so much Chantal, your inputs are so helpful. Much appreciated.

Dennis

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass or Eurail for Milan, Lucerne, Zermatt?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.