Swiss Travel Pass and local commuting

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 April 2018 at 5:32:37 #879519

Hi Baatasaari,

Ok, in that case you ended up on the Indian Rail Europe website at http://www.raileurope.co.in/p ass/swiss-travel-pass-82. They will get delivered via e-mail but they are indeed not very clear. You’ll see that they ask for a billing address only, not a shipping address. And delivery costs are zero. Also it says “Print at home”, but then the other comment that you mentioned in indeed confusing. I don’t know why they do so. I’ll ask them for a hopefully clearer purchase procedure in the future.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 5:46:41 #879520

Absolutely! Thanks Arno.

So to be on a safer side, looks like buying the pass at the Ariport is the only option for me now. We land at 7am in the airport and our hotel in Wilderswil has a 3pm checkin, so we do have some time to spare standing in the queues 🙂

May I ask you a few questions regarding buying the pass at the airport –

1. Where do we have these stalls/desks at the Zurich airport? And what are they named/called?

2. I am thinking by the time we collect our baggage complete the immigration check and all..it would be around 8am. Would these stalls selling the Swiss Travel Passes be open that early in the morning?

3. And what could be the waiting time ? Would it take hours and hours? Also will they need any documentation to be produced(other than the passport) for buying the Swiss Travel Pass.

Thanks in advance!

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 April 2018 at 6:13:59 #879521

You’re welcome Baatasaari!

1. The ticket desks are above the airport train station.

2. Yes, they should be open around that time.

3. I’ve seen the queues but never purchased there. I’d estimate 30 minutes if it’s busy, or less if it’s not busy. Really hard to predict. All travelers and all passports need to be present.

Personally I would simply buy online. That way you don’t miss the first available train (spend your spare time sightseeing in Zurich, Lucerne or Bern I’d say!). Also you’d have a handy backup, so you can print the pass again in case you damage or loose it. You won’t have that if buying it locally in Switzerland. You will even save a bit of money if you purchase via https://www.happyrail. com/en/pass/europe/swi tzerland/swiss-travel-pass-consecutive as their prices are slightly lower and there are no additional shipping/handling fees (see here to compare). You should receive it the same or next business day, so plenty of time left for you.

Either way, enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 6:57:49 #879522

Thanks Arno. I have ordered just one pass for now from Happyrail just to be sure its emailed within time. Once received, am gonna order the other one as well B-)

I sincerely appreciate your help. You guys at MySwissAlps are doing a fantastic job. It just becomes so easy to get something clarified and learn about new things. You guys rock 🙂

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 April 2018 at 7:31:07 #879523

Thanks for your compliments Baatasaari!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 10:14:45 #879524

Guess what! I got my pass emailed, already!! This is great..indeed the mountains are calling me ….

I am gonna order my second card now!

Can’t stop appreciating you guys! 🙂

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 April 2018 at 10:35:59 #879525

Great! Yes, they’re quick 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 15:08:22 #879526

Hello team

could you help me understand if I can take the Bernina express from Zurich?! We will be landing at zurich arnd 7am and our hotel in wikderswil has a checkin only at 3pm. We have already bought the swiss travel pass, so thinking can utilize the time to tick off this from the checklist.

also stp will 100% cover my jouney with Bernina express correct?! Or do i need to pay anything more for the seat reservation?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 16:35:37 #879527

You’ll have to take a train from Zurich airport to Chur (1.5 hours) before boarding a regional train to Tirano (you’ll miss the BEX train). That trip is 4 hours to Tirano; and then return to Zurich on the BEX train departing at 14:25. So you could be back in Zurich by 8:30pm?

Yes, reservations are an extra cost on the Bernina Express.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 April 2018 at 21:02:46 #879528

Or instead of doubling back on the BEX as Lucas describes you can catch the BEX bus Tirano to Lugano and fast train back to Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 7:10:02 #879529

Nice idea!

They’ll still get to do the route after 08:30am but not the BEX train…no big deal in my mind though!

Either way it is a long day! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 14:14:09 #879530

Hello myswissalps team

While am waiting for boarding my flight for the next leg of the journey, I want to take a moment and thank this wonderful team! We are wrapping up our holiday in Swiss 😓… we have thoroughly enjoyed every moment in this beautiful country and it would have not been possible to plan so well without this forum. Take a bow!! Your prompt responses and suggestions have helped us a lot in planning and made it a memorable trip! Though we stayed for just 4 days (only couple of hours on the last day due to the flight) alwe managed to visit The top of Europe, Interlaken, Grindelwald, The First, Lauterbrunnen, Harder Kulm and also got to do paragliding! I have got most of my checklist items ticked – missed the Alphorns but neverthless am really happy about what we could achieve within his short time … without feeling any rush at all! Thank you team and I definitely wanna come back to this wonderul country again! Gracias!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 2:47:05 #879531

Great to hear! If you have the chance once you are settled back home we always appreciate a trip report and photos from our members to help others see what they can do/see!

Only if you have the time of course.

Happy travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2018 at 8:56:57 #879532

can I post my trip’s report as a reply to this same thread, or is there a different forum or thread to start?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 May 2018 at 9:46:33 #879533

It would be great if you could paste a trip,report here http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/tripreports.

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass and local commuting’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.