Swiss rail pass confusion – pricing and comparison

• CJ5
    Participant
    18 posts
    30 March 2018 at 16:41:59 #815049

I have spent hours and I am still confused. For a 5 day trip (4 full days of sightseeing) I have tried to figure out the cost of what we liked to do and see to compare to which “pass” we would need and I end up frustrated. First if traveling from Italy to Interlaken – do I get train ticket in advance for entire trip or only to swill border IF we end up getting a swiss pass?

things we would like to do (staying in Lauterbrennen) – I tried pricing it out by trip – not so easy – confusing: Schilthorn and Thrill walk / Visit Murren/ Birg/ Grimmelwald / Wengen / water falls in Lauterbrennen etc / lake cruise on Brienz.

How does one price these out to know if a Swiss Pass is best option?

End of trip will have to take train back to Italy. Can anyone help and any suggestions ?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2018 at 18:12:20 #880370

Hi CJ5 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you get the Swiss Travel Pass then yes, just buy a ticket from Italy to the Swiss border. This is either Chiasso or Domodossola depending on the train and your destination. The Swiss Travel Pass covers the rest of the train trip.

It can get a bit confusing for sure – lots of options on rail passes. For ticket prices you can use the Swiss Railways timetable. It will give you the price beside each train but it is defaulted to the Half Fare price so double it to get the regular fare (for comparisons). The Thrill Walk isn’t extra once you’ve traveled to Schilthorn. The timetable will give you prices to get from one town/village to another or to a mountain top. For details on Lake cruises on Lake Brienz click here as well.

Once you have prices you can compare costs with our spreadsheet noted here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

I would guess a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass is a good bet – and quite convenient. If you are tired of comparisons just buy it and go. Only a few mountain trips will require buying a ticket (those noted as discounted by 25% or 50% off etc).

CJ5
    Participant
    18 posts
    30 March 2018 at 21:10:59 #880371

Thank you for your reply. I basically figured out most of that. I tried the train web site to calculate prices. Again it still gives me error in fields. Also have seen the excel sheet – but I can’t get to any travel prices. I did find the Brienz boat trip price from your link. This vacation planning I am afraid is tainting my wanting to go now. Is there any way based on what I indicated as places we wanted to go to once in Switzerland you can give me a “ballpark” figure? Swiss Passes are pricey and I am not sure if we will exceed it – however I do like the just do it and go – but I am a methodical planner and just can’t bring myself to do it without knowing. Finally – If I am entering Switzerland on 8/14/18 and leaving on 8/18/18 – the Swiss pass is for 4 days – so I will have to pay full train price on that 5th day to get back to italy?

Thanks for any advice.

Forgot this – does it matter what web site I buy a Swiss pass on? I see so many – can I trust them all?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 March 2018 at 21:34:34 #880372

Hello CJ5,

All we know so far is you are staying in Lauterbrunnen and going to Ital.

If you give us a better idea of when and where you arrive in Switzerland and what your overall itinerary looks like it is going to be easier to provide advice.

You can trust any of the retailers you see at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price.

Don’t be deterred. The Swiss Travel Pass will not seem expensive when you see the full-fare price of most transport in Switzerland. Plus the convenience is priceless.

CJ5
    Participant
    18 posts
    30 March 2018 at 22:20:32 #880373

Thanks for replying… Will be in Lauterbrunen for 4 nights. Day of arrival from Italy was planning on visiting waterfalls. Next day Schilthorn, thrill wlak, Birg Gimmelwald. Next day wengen and Grindelwald. next day Brienz boat ride. I would like to either do a day trip to Lucerne or doing an express train ride, which could replace prior day adventures. . I am open to any and all suggestions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 March 2018 at 22:33:46 #880374

Swiss Travel Pass and take Golden Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) to Montreux one day. You could tag on a Saver Day Pass (for 1st or 5th day).

Lauterbrunnen to Domodossola at least in one direction take via Kandersteg scenic route.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    31 March 2018 at 0:51:00 #880375

I did a similar trip in 2015 using the Bernese Oberland pass.

I agree it takes a bit of working out what is the best value with all the options available.

I spent some time elsewhere in Switzerland before and after the Bernese Oberland pass itinerary. The best option for me was to buy a half-fare card and a combination of day pass and ordinary tickets.

I purchased the pass from the ticket office at Interlaken West. The staff spoke good English and were most helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2018 at 0:28:46 #880376

If I book a SWISS TRAVEL PASS at http://www.swisstravelsystem. com (online) will I get it immediately for printing at home.

thank you

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 April 2018 at 3:05:38 #880377

You didn’t like my answer at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/swiss-rail-pass-17? 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2018 at 6:44:41 #880378

If you aren’t booking on a holiday weekend you almost certainly will get it the same day as ordered. Try any of these companies. They will warn you it may take up to 3 business days but 99% of the time it is within an hour of ordering.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2018 at 18:47:14 #880379

thank you Lucas for crisp and clear reply

• The thread ‘Swiss rail pass confusion – pricing and comparison’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.