Swiss Pass Discounts 15 days?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2011 at 11:06:21 #804380

Hello,
    You are a wealth of info!

We (two adults and one youth) are traveling to Switzerland end of June and will be based two weeks near Luzern and plan to travel near and far each of the 15 days we’re there. Also want to visit some museums and castles. Seems we’re tailor made for the 15 day Swiss Saver Pass and the 15 day Youth Swiss Pass for our 18 year old.

With all the current specials out there, sadly not seeing anything beyond the standard saver pass for US travelers. Is it pretty much a given there will be no additional discounts offered for Americans until the summer travel season is over?

Also, since I calculated $30/day the pass costs us in public transport and it’s approximately $15 to get us to Luzern and back, wondering if you could recommend a few easy side trips to combine with our frequent visits to Luzern that would put us over the $30 daily transport cost…thus more than justifying the Swiss Pass?

Kind regards.
    SH

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 June 2011 at 13:37:35 #833123

Hi SH,

Welcome here! I agree that the Swiss Saver Pass and Youth Pass would be an ideal fit to your plans. There are indeed no extra promotions for US travelers currently, but buying online already saves you a fair amount compared to buying in Switzerland. All prices are on the right side of the Swiss Pass page. I’m not aware of upcoming specials, but I can’t guarantee that there won’t be any during summer either. However, you shouldn’t be waiting too long before deciding since the end of June is not that far away.

I wouldn’t be too worried about doing a minimum amount of traveling to make your pass worth its money. Many trips will cost more than $30, especially when cable cars or other mountain transportaion is involved. From Luzern, you can visit Rigi, make a boat trip, visit Pilatus and Titlis, just to name a few. The first two would be free with your passes, the other ones 50% discounted. You can calculate exactly how much you would save however.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2011 at 8:57:12 #833124

Thank you for the reply and confirming my research. We’re getting double hit with CHF’s strong currency compared to the US dollar and no additional discounts to be found. However our son just graduated from high school and earned this family trip. Plus, my wife’s grandparents are from Luzern. First time in Europe for both my wife and son and 12 year old daughter.

Do you know if any of the boats covered with the Swiss Pass drop off and pick up at Treib on Lake Luzern? We’re staying up the hill from there and it would be a nice way to get to and from Luzern. The “Swiss Pass” map doesn’t seem to show that route covered.

Also, are there many towns in neighboring countries just across the border that allow free travel via train or bus with the Swiss Pass? We would like to cross over if possible so my son can say he visited six countries for the price of one. 🙂

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 June 2011 at 9:27:47 #833125

Hi SH,

Congratulations on your son’s graduation! A perfect reason to visit Switzerland. One warning though: many people want to go back after their first visit 😉

The Swiss franc is indeed strong currently, both compared to the US dollar and the Euro. The prices on our Swiss Pass page are being updated daily, using the exchange rates of the day. Buying online would save you some money. Other tips to save money are here.

All boats on Lake Lucerne are covered by the Swiss Pass, including the ones stopping in Treib. The funicular up to Seelisberg is covered as well. You’ve really picked a magnificent location. The view from the village at the lake is stunning!

As for visiting six countries: I’m going to refer to the map again. Only a few connections and towns across the border are covered, but it’s enough to legitimately claim that you’ve been in that country. The only problem is that you’re based in the middle of Switzerland, so it would involve quite some traveling. From the top of my head: you can visit Chamonix in France (Mont Blanc), Liechtenstein, Domodossola and Tirano in Italy, and some Austrian towns. Please check the timetable for traveling times.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2011 at 9:44:24 #833126

Thank you so much Arno! I’m definately seeing this as the start of many trips to Switzerland with my family. The day my brother and I crossed over from Germany several years ago, I knew I’d be back. I’m just glad my wife now shares the love for traveling to Europe. Take care

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass Discounts 15 days?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.