Which Swiss train pass for 5 days in Lauterbrunnen

Which Swiss train pass for 5 days in Lauterbrunnen

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
emma1234
emma1234
1 post
May 10, 2017 - 2:54 AM

Hi,

My partner and myself will be arriving in Geneva on the 5th July at 4pm, we want to travel straight to Lauterbrunnen that night where we will stay until the 9th of July, and then get a train back to Geneva to leave on a 9pm flight. We are travelling on a budget and want to know the cheapest way to pay for transport, however we will want to see as much as we can while staying in Lauterbrunnen including Jungfraujoch and the other regions close by.

Any advice on whether we should get a youth swiss pass or half fare pass etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Emma

Lucas
Lucas
7270 posts
expert &
May 10, 2017 - 3:08 PM in reply to emma1234

Hi Emma,

You may be best off with the Jungfrau Travel Pass or if you are going further afield then look at the Regional Pass - Bernese Oberland. Either option will still require you to buy a ticket from Geneva to (wherever the regional pass starts, depending on which one you buy).

In order to get a pass that will also cover the trip in from Geneva you must buy the Swiss Travel Pass (you can get the Youth version if you are under 26). You'll have to compare prices and also decide on where you will be traveling to help you decide what to buy. You can read through our page here on how to choose the best rail pass.

Lucas

elbarcosr1
elbarcosr1
44 posts
May 11, 2017 - 3:47 PM

I'm not an expect, so I could be corrected on this info, but: If you are from north America, there is a sale for the STP right now where you get 5 days for the price of a 4 day ticket which might help. Price will vary depending on age (225-270 +/-). Then most travel excluding the high mountain cable cars and railways will be covered. If you aren't in north America, then you'd have no pass for 1 day and need to buy the full fare $82 ticket from Geneva on day 1. If you expect to be on the high mountain cable cars and railways a lot, I would consider a 1/2 fare card ($120) plus the 4 day BO Regional Pass ($188 with the 1.2 fare card). One way from Geneva you will have the rail fare of $41. On the way back you will have the BO pass that will get you to Bern, and then the ticket to Geneva would be $28, so your total would be around $377. Of course, you could just get the 1/2 fare pass for $120 and then just pay as you go. I haven't figured out the Jungfrau Pass yet since it didn't seem to fit our travel plans. Best of luck and have fun.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018