Swiss pass holders buying at Trenitalia

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2015 at 4:44:01 #807046

Hi Dear moderator,

I’ve purchased, in Brazil, a Swiss Travel Pass (4 consecutive days) and I’ll start using it on May 6th. It will be validate by a stamp.

On the last day (May 9th), I’m going to Milano, from Montreux.

I’d like to buy a ticket from Montreux to Milano at Trenitalia site using the Ga Switzerland offer (for holders of: Swiss general Abonnment, Swiss Pass, Swiss Flexi Pass, Swiss Card, Swiss Transfer ticket or Abbonamento Arcobaleno on the routes Italy-Canton Ticino.).

When I try to use this offer, they ask my Swiss Pass number. I’d like to know if I buy this way, it will count May 9th as my first day instead of being my last day of pass use.

Also, at SBB site, when I tried to buy this same ticket, they don’t mention Swiss travel pass reduction. I’d like to know if I can buy this same ticket at SBB using the “GA 1.cl reduction” because I’ve read that in most cases where the GA entitles for a discount, the Swiss Travel Pass will entitle for that same discount .

Thanks,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    5 April 2015 at 7:15:17 #842282

Hi valdi123,

I don’t think the Trenitalia website offers discounts for holders of Swiss rail passes. You can either order through the SBB website, or get an “official” ticket for Swiss Travel Pass holders from your local website: in Brazil it’s http://www.raileurope.com.br. In fact you only need a ticket for the leg Domodossola to Milan, and it cost € 9 on that website. It would have been easiest/cheapest to order along the ticket while ordering the Swiss Travel Pass, but you can still get the ticket separately too.

Please also see this thread which explains this in more detail.

Does this answer your question?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2015 at 0:42:54 #842283

Hi Annika,

Thank you very much. I managed to buy a separate ticket Domodossola-Milan for € 9.

Regarding to Trenitalia website, I’ve noticed they offer discounts for holders of Swiss rail passes. You can mark the option “View other Offers”. Under “Offer“, you can select “GA Switzerland” for holders of a Swiss Travel Pass, Swiss Travel Pass Flex, Swiss Travel Pass Youth, Swiss Travel Pass Flex Youth or Swiss Transfer Ticket on transfer days. The ticket Montreux-Milan price, for instance, drops from €63 to €21 using this option.

But buying the leg Domodossola-Milan using the Super Economy discount was a much better option. Thanks again.

• The thread ‘Swiss pass holders buying at Trenitalia’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.