Swiss pass or half fare card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2012 at 2:15:11 #805710

I’ve done some research on what options to take, but I just need some advice on what is the best option for transportation to be travelling within Switzerland for 5 days 4 nights. This is our itinerary:

12/17/2012 Arriving in Zurich from London at around 9:30am -> staying in Interlaken overnight
    12/18/2012 Find a good package for visiting Jungfrau/Grindelwald, etc
    12/19/2012 Interlaken to Zermatt (staying in Zermatt overnight)
    12/20/2012 Zermatt to Geneva early morning
    12/21/2012 Geneva to Paris (take tgv)

Questions:
    1) Should we choose swiss pass or the half fare travelcard for our travels (including TGV on last day) within Switzerland?
    2) Is it cheaper to get a package deal to visit Jungfrau like the link I’ve attached below or is it cheaper to decide along the way?
    http://shop.jungfrau.ch/en/bergbahn/angebote/jungfraujoch-top-of-europe/jungfraujoch-ticket-anschlussticket-zum-ga-und-swisspass-ab-wengen-bis-grindelwald
    3) Does the swiss pass include the fare up to Zermatt? or 50% off?
    4) If I get the Swiss pass for 4 days (12/17-12/20), the the TGV on 12/21 would be purchased separately. Does half fare travelcard have the 50% discount on TGV as well?

Thanks so much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 December 2012 at 11:50:37 #837815

Hi judyloo, welcome to MySwissAlps,

1) You can add up normal fares and compare that to pass prices, as explained here. A Swiss Card would be the cheapest and most convenient option in your case. Zurich airport – Interlaken and Zermatt – Geneva are included for free so you don’t need to buy tickets for those transfers. You’ll get 50% discounts on tickets for all other trips.

2) The page you’re referring to is not about a package deal. It’s just offering to purchase a discounted ticket online. You’ll get a 50% discount on Jungfrau tickets with the Swiss Card, regardless whether you buy online or local.

3) You can download a map of what’s included on any of our pass pages.

4) The TGV tickets need to be purchased separately in any case. Geneva is on the border, so your TGV transfer is in France only. Swiss rail passes do not offer discounts for France. You can refer to the maps I mentioned also.

I hope this helps!

• The thread ‘Swiss pass or half fare card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.