Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare card?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2017 at 12:07:30 #812940

Good morning,

My boyfriend and I are arriving in Zurich early morning of August 28th. Here is our plan

8/28-8/29 Zurich

8/29 heading to Murren via Luzern

8/29-8/31 Murren and vicinity

8/31 heading to Lausanne

9/1 heading to St Gallen ( we will get a car there)

9/1 -9/4 St Gallen and vicinity ( we will return the car back to St Gallen)

9/4 Back to Zurich via train

9/5 depart from Zurich

Quesions:

Should we get a four day swiss pass or half fare card? We will travel via the train from 8/29 to 9/1.

Please recommend a scenic route from Zurich to Murren, Murren to Lausanne and Lausanne to St Gallen.

I really want to go to Bern for a short half day visit. Is there anyway I can squeeze in that city on my route? I do not want to go to Bern while I am in Murren (8/29-8/31) though.

Thank you very much for any help that you can provide.

Best regards,

DP from New York

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2017 at 15:56:59 #868264

Hi DP and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Either the Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card can work for you on this trip. To know the most economical option you will need to plan out your train trips as well as bus and cable car trips as well that you take while in Mürren.

We have page to help you here on choosing the best rail pass with an Excel sheet to help with the math once you know your planned trips. The Swiss Half Fare Card may work out the best as you can use it for your whole trip wherever you are.

For a scenic trip from Zurich to Mürren I would travel via Luzern and take the Golden Pass route between Luzern and Interlaken.

The quickest train route from Mürren to Lausanne is via Bern, so you can spend a part of the day here no problem.

The trip from Lausanne to St. Gallen is a long one (3.5 hours at best with no changes). I haven’t taken this route before (via Neuchatel) but I think it is a nice route along the lake. You could travel via Montreux and take the entire Golden Pass route to Luzern and from there take a train on to St. Gallen (if you have the time).

Use the SBB railways timetable to help plan all your trips!

Lucas

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare card?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.