Swiss Travel Pass or Saver Day Passes?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 17:15:47 #815214

Hello!

I am planning a five days trip to switzerland with my wife and 8 yrs old son. Brief itinerary is as follows:

Day 1- Arrive Interlaken from Paris via Basel in the afternoon and spending the day in Interlaken at leisure.

Day 2 – Day trip to Jungfraujoch from Interlaken

Day 3- Day trip to Lucerne from Interlaken

Day 4- Arrive Zurich from Interlaken and sightseeing and overnight stay in Zurich.

Day 5- Day trip to Mt. Titlis from Zurich

Day6 – Return flight from Zurich

For the whole trip should i go for four days swiss pass and a one day saver pass or five saver passes ? Is the itinerary fine or am missing out on some important link? Please guide, thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 19:31:06 #881538

Hi nitishbch and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Depending on the price of the Saver Day Pass when you buy it; it may not be cost effective on some of your planned days. You’ll need to find prices for all trips first.

To know which pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂

I would hesitate to try/bother buying so many 1 day passes like the Saver Day Pass. Even if the Swiss Travel Pass is more expensive (maybe maybe not) it is quite a bit more convenient and does offer better discounts into the mountains (Jungfraujoch and Titlis for example).

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 April 2018 at 21:26:56 #881539

When are you travelling and what time is your flight from Zurich?

You might consider staying in Jungfrau Region on day 3 then move to Lucerne rather than Zurich. Lots to do around Lucerne and closer to Titlis.

Day 1 check out Harder Kulm.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 4:14:32 #881540

Thanks Lucas for the information. Since the swiss pass is available for 3,4 and 8days and i’ll be travelling for five days, should i buy a 4 days swiss pass and a super saver pass for the fifth day? What do you suggest?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 4:18:12 #881541

I will be travelling from 29th of May to 3rd of June. Cant change the staying plans as i have already booked the hotels for Interlaken and Zurich.

Harder Kulm is looking tempting and will surely visit on day 1 itself. Thanks a lot for the useful information.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 April 2018 at 6:19:43 #881542

The full fare from Basel to Interlaken is only CHF61 so a Saver Day pass is only of marginal benefit. It won’t get you a discount on Harder Kulm.

A Saver Day Pass will get you to Engelberg and back but is of no benefit for Engelberg to Titlis. Probably best to start your 4-day Swiss Travel Pass on Day 2.

You may actually find that a Swiss Half Fare Card will work out better. It just doesn’t have the convenience of a STP as you have to buy tickets. You’d need to do the sums to be sure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 6:36:54 #881543

Thanks for the info. I’ll work out the details again. Also i was thinking that instead of a day trip to Lucerne from Interlaken on Day 3, should i club it in Day 5 itinerary and do it along with Mt. Titlis(Lucerne and Titlis from Zurich) ? If yes then in that case what should be done in/around Interlaken on day 3?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 April 2018 at 6:56:04 #881544

I’m not sure what time of the year you are travelling but have I got a Swiss Travel Pass deal for you!

Go to Lauterbrunnen and follow a very nice circuit up to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schilthorn. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look if it is open when you are there.

This entire trip apart from a modest entry fee to Trummelbach Falls is free with your STP.

Good idea on day 5.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 7:03:04 #881545

I’ll be travelling in last week of May. Thanks for the useful info. Should be of great help 😉

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass or Saver Day Passes?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.