Best rail pass for France Italy & Switzerland trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 12:16:15 #813748

I had the following itinerary in mind, please suggest how many days of swiss travel pass would i need for this itinerary (including the arrival and departure days) and if the arrival and departure days regular tickets would be cheaper option than swiss pass ? I want to be economical and yet have hassle free travel

Monday, Apr 30

10:30am

ParisZurich (4h 15min)

Zurich, Switzerland

Free Time. No activities on this day, spend few hours in zurich

6:30pm

ZurichLucerne (1h)

Tuesday, May 1

Lucerne, Switzerland

09:30am

Lake Lucerne

11:30 am

Mt. Rigi

Wednesday, May 2

Lucerne, Switzerland

10:30am

Mount Titlis

Thursday, May 3

8:30am

LucerneInterlaken (1h)

Interlaken, Switzerland

10:00am

Speed Boats Tours

11:00am

Jungfraujoch

Friday, May 4

Interlaken, Switzerland

11:30am

Zurich to Venice (5h 45min)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 16:17:45 #872428

Hi Manzoorh and welcome to MySiwssAlps!

I would probably recommend the 4 day Swiss Travel Pass and use point to point tickets on the 1st day (April 30). That being said, I wouldn’t bother going to Zurich on April 30….it doesn’t look like you have any plans there anyway?
    Why don’t you go straight to Luzern from Paris? Buy your ticket from Paris to Luzern (or Zurich) here.

Then for May 1 – 4 you can use the Swiss Travel Pass. When going to Venice, you will only need to buy a ticket from the Swiss border to Venice (the Swiss Travel Pass will cover you until the border). From Interlaken, that town would be Domodossola. Also there is no need to go to Zurich before going to Venice on day 4.

A Eurail Select Pass might make sense as long as you are traveling regularly in France and/or Italy as well.

You can use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out all your trips.

Hope that helps – let us know if you have more questions!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2017 at 4:59:14 #872429

Hi Lucas

Thanks for the reply , based on your reply what i understood is the following, bear with me if i am wrong as it is the first time i am traveling to Europe and the rail passes are confusing. To give a little more background on my trip, i will be first visiting Paris for 3 days , i.e., 27th ,28th and 29th Apr and on 30th i would be going to Switzerland as explained in my previous reply, so considering this, if i take a Eurail Select pass for 5 days in 2 months ( for 3 countries France, Switzerland and Italy) , around 540 Euros, considering we are a family of 4 including 2 children 9 & 7 yrs old and the Swiss rail pass for 4 days as suggested by you

1. Will i be able to use Eurail select pass on internal travel in France ? ( I suppose they have some RER system), in that case i will be using Eurail pass on 27th , 28th and 29th for internal travel, then on 30th ( 4th day of Eurail pass) from France to border of switzerland and from there what ticket to use to reach Luzern, since you suggested to use Swiss travel pass from May 1-4

2. on May 4 i will be using Swiss travel pass from Interlaken to border of italy ,and with Last day of my Eurail select pass from there to Venice. Is this correct ? Also i did not find any trains from interlaken to venice , that is why in my first post i wrote to first tavel from interlaken to zurich and from there to venice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2017 at 7:03:25 #872430

Hi Manzoorh,

No problem – happy to help here. 🙂

1. Yes you can use the Eurail Select Pass on travel around France (you need to do that to make the pass worth the cost).
    2.Yes all correct. You should find a train from Interlaken to Venice by using the timetable link on my previous post.

Another idea may be with a longer Eurail Select Pass – say 10 days and use that in Switzerland as well.
    This would only be advantageous if you travel by train regularly in France and Italy though.

Read through our Eurail Validity page here to see both pdf maps for the routes covered in Switzerland as well as the other countries (scroll down to see a good map of Switzerland once you open the PDF).

The main advantage of the Swiss Travel Pass would be better discounts (or free travel) up into some mountains. For example:

Eurail Select: 50% off the train or cable car to Mt. Rigi / 25% off cable car to Mt. Titlis / 25% off from Interlaken to Wengen or Grindelwald & 25% off the rest of the trip to Jungfraujoch.

Swiss Travel Pass: Free train or cable car to Mt. Rigi / 50% off to Mt. Titlis / Free from Interlaken to Wengen or Grindelwald & 25% off the rest of the trip to Jungfraujoch

In the end, if you are staying in Paris for all 3 days and not exploring outside that by train & not traveling by train after Venice I doubt buying a Eurail pass at all is worth it (unless the prices you find from Paris to Switzerland & Switzerland to Venice are very expensive).

Probably just a ticket into and out of Switzerland, as I noted on my first post, plus the Swiss Travel Pass is your best bet.

If you want to be absolutely sure on the cheapest option for your travel plans use our page here on how to choose the best rail pass – there is an Excel spreadsheet to help you do the math!

• The thread ‘Best rail pass for France Italy & Switzerland trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.