Swiss pass or the half fare pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2012 at 11:21:48 #805365

Hello Guys! Can you please help me as to which pass is better in my case? Swiss pass or the half fare pass. I will be in Switzerland for 4 days. I’ll be coming from Milan to Zurich to Bern.

Bern – 2 days — I have plans of doing a day trip to Lucerne or Zurich
    Interlaken – 2 days — I have plans of going up Jungfraujoch

Any form of help is much appreciated. Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2012 at 17:20:20 #836418

Hello!!!

We, too, need advice on which pass to choose. We will be spending 8 days in Switzerland. We will be traveling from Geneva to Gimmelwald, taking the gondola to Schilthorn and possibly some other train/gondola rides, then back to Geneva.The travle to Gimmelwald will be September 1, 2012 with the return to Geneva on September 5, 2012. What would be the best choice for 2 travelers?

Thanks.

Jim

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 June 2012 at 1:57:38 #836419

Hi hapilyn123,

Normally you would take a 4-day Swiss Pass for your plans. It allows you to be flexible and throw in an extra free boat trip or urban transportation for example. If you’re sure you’ll only be making the trips you mentioned, it’s worth to calculate which option is better. The Swiss Half Fare Card is less expensive to purchase and provides 50% discount on the Jungfraujoch, instead of 25%. But you’ll have to buy tickets for each trip so that adds up quickly.

When will you be traveling and where are you from? You may be able to take advantage of the Swiss Saver Pass 2-for-1 offer if you’re traveling with at least 2 people.

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 June 2012 at 2:05:24 #836420

Hi Jim,

A 4-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass (2-for-1 offer) would be a good option. You can use two free travel days for the transfers to and from Gimmelwald. Additionally, you have 2 more free travel days and discounts on the remaining day.

Please open up a new topic for new questions (rather than adding to other topics) as stated in our forum rules. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2012 at 3:19:08 #836421

Hello Arno, thank you for that prompt response. Most likely those are the only trip I am planning as of the moment. Maybe a few train and boat ride around the areas. I will be coming to Bern on Oct 8 and to Interlaken on Oct 10 alone so the 2 for 1 offer is not for me.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2012 at 9:06:18 #836422

Hello Arno,

Can you please help me. What is the best connection from Interlaken to Paris? Do I need to go back to Bern then get a connection to Paris or is there a faster and a better way to do it from Interlaken? Your help is much appreciated.

Annika
    7104 posts
    14 June 2012 at 9:43:15 #836423

Hi hapilyn. You can use the timetable to find all connections from Interlaken to Paris. In most cases you will get to Basel, change trains there and get on a direct train to Paris. If you click the ‘plus’ symbol at each of the connections, lots of details will be displayed. I hope that helps you out!

• The thread ‘Swiss pass or the half fare pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.