Rail pass just for Bernina Express round trip?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2017 at 10:36:21 #813490

Dear experts,

First time to post here! I am planning a trip with my husband in December and we are going to use Bernina express, so i need your help weather a swiss pass will fit in our trip. i have read the related information but still i am not sure weather it is worth.

Our trip is as follows:

14/12/17 Tirano to Chur (with Bernina Express)

16/12/17 Chur to Tirano (with Bernina Express)

is there any pass that suits to this trip? we will propably use train/bus to visit some areas close to Chur, but the main route is the above mentrioned.

are the bernina tickets available now for december?looking for them but cant find something..

thank you in advance,

Sofia

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2017 at 16:08:03 #870865

Hi Sofia,

If you are just doing those 2 trains I don’t think buying a pass makes sense. If you plan on making a couple trips from/around Chur it may be that a Swiss Half Fare Card might work for you.

You will have to do the math and compare trains costs (with reservations on the Bernina Express) to the cost of the Swiss Half fare Card and the then discounted train tickets.

Use our page here on how to choose the best rail pass to help you do this.

The timetable isn’t released yet with SBB but I believe you can contact RhB (the train company that runs the Bernina Express) and ask them directly for reservations. If that doesn’t work we are expecting the timetable to be released on Oct. 18.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2017 at 19:01:58 #870866

Dear Lucas,

Thank you for your answear!

I have some more questions regarding Bernina express. From Chur to Tirano we would like to stop to St. Moritz (or is there any better proposal?) for a couple of hours. Should we book the tickets accordingly, Chur-St Moritz, St Moritz -Tirano, with predefined hours?If yes, i have read that bernina express with panoramic trains operates only once daily in winter. if so, what train shall we catch from St. Moritz, a reagional one? Finally, is a reservation enough for the time being and buy the tickets a couple of days prior to travel?How should i choose the option of panoramic trains when making the reservation?

Sorry for so many questions!

thank you,

Sofia

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 October 2017 at 23:51:58 #870867

Hi Sofia,

Once you have reservations you can buy ticket anytime.

You’ll find the timetable for the Bernina Express for December here http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#info

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 October 2017 at 5:10:47 #870868

Hi Sofia,

You will note from the timetable link sent above that there is no direct Bernina Express between Chur and St Moritz but there is a regional train covering that route. On the SBB Timetable that Lucas referred to the Bernina Express is denoted BEX.

Depending on what time you plan to depart Tirano you can take a train direct to St Moritz so you could stop off there and then continue on a regular train to Chur. Then return direct from Chur to Tirano. You don’t need to take the actual Bernina Express in both directions unless you want to do that.

In doing your planning keep in mind that at that time of the year sunrise is about 08:00 and sunset 16:30.

I emailed Rhaetian Railways (reservation@rhb. com) to ask when December reservations would be open. They responded “At the middle or at the end of October you can book Bernina Express online. When you want to do it now, we can do it for you. For the reservation we need all details of the travel: Route, 1st or 2nd class, number of travelers, the date. We also need your address and your credit card details (card number, holder, expiry date, security code) as guarantee.

You can give us this information by mail or by calling under 0041 81 288 65 65.”

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2017 at 19:25:16 #870869

Dear Rockoyster,

thank you so much for your detailed answer!

Our trip will change and we are going to use Pontresina as our base and will explore the surrounding area by train.

So, the route i know we will do for sure is Tirano to Pontresina and back.

My question is, should be make both routes, from Tirano to Pontresina and back, with BEX?

the rest of the daytrips will be made with regional trains, that i guess i will book on the spot?

really appreciate your help!

Sofia

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 October 2017 at 21:24:16 #870870

Hi Sofia,

It is probably not necessary to travel both ways by BEX. But I would do it at least one way. The panorama carriages and onboard commentary are worth it.

Best thing to do is to take whichever trains best suit your overall timetable.

Happy travels.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 October 2017 at 1:26:22 #870871

Hi Sofia,

Forgot to say . . . you only need reservations on the actual BEX. Regional trains you can just buy tickets as required. No seat reservations required.

Also if you want to cover all the BEX route (ie to Chur) then you to make a nice round trip you can take a regional train from Pontresina via Sagliains and Landquart to Chur and then return along the BEX route via FIlisur to Pontresina. That way you get a better view of the Landwasser Viaduct as you approach it shortly before arriving in Filisur.

This pass may be of interest to you http://www.myswissalps.com/gr aubundenpass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 October 2017 at 18:36:53 #870872

Dear Rockoyster thank you for your reply and suggestions!

I was looking for the route you proposed Pontresina to chur via Sagliains and Landquart, in order to estimate the cost and see if any pass is worthy..But i am not sure the route i find is the one you propose!

i find: pontresina-Samedan-Landquart-Chur , but no luck to estimmmate the price!

i have one more question regarding the ski pass with price 38 CHF (my hotel can provide me with it).

in this price is included the entrance in a ski resort (but which ones) and some local transportation that is mentioned in the site, like cable cars? what about the ski equipment?is it something included?

thank you for your time,

Sofia

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 October 2017 at 19:41:35 #870873

Hi Sofia,

You said “i find: pontresina-Samedan-Landquart-Chur , but no luck to estimmmate the price!”

SBB timetable shows full 2nd class fare is CHF54/person. Chur to Pontresina via BEX route is CHF42.

Sorry I’m not familiar with ski passes. Can’t help you there. Perhaps hotel can provide more information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 October 2017 at 20:13:05 #870874

Thank you for your help dear rockoyster!

• The thread ‘Rail pass just for Bernina Express round trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.