Swiss Pass vs EuroRail Pass & Jungfrau Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2016 at 4:06:49 #808469

My planned itinerary as below, accom has been booked.

Day 1 Frankfurt – Zurich (Option Rhine Fall)
    Day 2 Zurich – Luzern (Option Mt Titlis)
    Day 3 Luzern – Interlaken
    Day 4 Interlaken
    Day 5 Interlaken
    Day 6 Interlaken – Geneva
    Day 7 Geneva

The original plan was to buy a one way ticket from Frankfurt to Zurich (Euro 59 per pax), I will then have to get the Zurich – Luzern one way at CHF 25. Then would need to buy a 4 days swiss Pass for Day 3 – 6. CHF 251. Total cost Euro 314 haven’t include option of Rhine Fall & Mt Titlis has to be pushed to Day 3 due to Swiss Pass validity. Plus only get 50% & 25% discount at Jungfrau.

Total up front cost Euro 314, exclude Rhine Fall (Totally no discount covered), Mt Titlis (50% with swiss pass) & trips around Jungfrau (25% or 50% with swiss pass)

Alternatively, buy
    1. Euro Rail Pass for Germany & Switzerland 4+1 days (promo) @ Euro 218 (15% for 2 pax travelling). This is enough to cover me for Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 6 & Day 7 (though limited as I am leaving on Day 7). The pass will include transport for Rhine Fall & I can do Mt Titlis on Day 2, allow more time for Interlaken on Day 3.

2. Jungfrau Travel Pass 3 days @ CHF 180. Unlimited and free train ride except from Elgergletscher up till Jungfrau which is on 50%.

Total up front cost Euro 381, Rhine fall covered, Mt Titlis (50% with euro rail pass), Jungfrau covered except last part on 50%.

Comments or any other pass i can make my trip more economical?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 February 2016 at 6:20:07 #848635

Hi superman888,

Thank you for joining us! My first thought is that a Eurail (not Eurorail) Pass is usually not worth it when only doing one trip in one of the countries (Germany in your case). Also note that a Eurail Pass does not cover Mount Titlis for free. What exactly is included can be found here.

If you’re traveling in summer you may want to consider the Swiss Travel Pass as it includes the Schynige Platte railway near Interlaken for free. The Mount Rigi railway near Lucerne is free as well. And finally there’s the Swiss Half Fare Card: no free traveling but 50% off everything.

I’d recommend to do the math as explained here. It’s the best way to pick a pass if saving money is your main objective.

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass vs EuroRail Pass & Jungfrau Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.