Swiss pass/swiss card/half fare card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2013 at 1:11:37 #805736

Hi
    Please, I need your help…..I have done maths and more maths and more maths and can’t seem to work out which is the cheapest for us
    Party of 4 friends – from South Africa

Day 1. Arrive in Zurich 27 March 2013…..catch train straight to Interlaken West (where we saty for 4 nights)

Day 2. Interlaken – Lucerne return

Day 3. Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Jungfrau – Grindelwald…….. go up First and do the First Flyer…..back on train back down to Interlaken

Day 4. Boat trip on Lake Brienz – one way – train back to Interlaken…..later catch the train up to Lauterbrunnen/return

Day 5. Interlaken West – Basel

I would really appreciate your opinion as, each time I read more info, I think I may be choosing the incorrect pass….
    Many thanks
    Best wishes for 2013

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2013 at 9:10:42 #837871

So glad I am not the only one that is confused on the passes. Look forward to responses in helping us decide what is best. Marie

Annika
    7116 posts
    6 January 2013 at 10:13:49 #837872

Welcome Jeannie! There are several options indeed. Looking at the travel plans you described, a 4 day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland would be best, being slightly cheaper than a Swiss Half Fare Card. If you want to make (even more :-)) calculations, these tips may be of help. Keep in mind though that your plans may change, and in most cases you’ll only know afterwards whether or not you picked the cheapest solution.
    If you choose the Regional-Pass, you should use free travel days for the first 4 days, and buy a regular ticket for Interlaken-Basel on the last day. On your way from Zurich to Interlaken, you’ll need a regular ticket up to Bern or Lucerne (depending on which route you pick), a discounted ticket Bern-Thun or Lucerne-Brünig, as that’s where the discounted area of the Regional-Pass starts, and the remaining leg will be for free. Please refer to the Regional-Pass page for a detailed network map, specifics, purchase options and prices.

If you like traveling in 1st class and want to limit buying additional (discounted) tickets for your trips, you can look into the special 4+1 offer on the Swiss Saver Pass. This would cover all 5 travel days.

I hope this helps you decide!

A note to Marie: if you’re looking for rail pass help for your specific situation, you can best create a new topic for this issue or continue your questions in your previous topic.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2013 at 11:03:59 #837873

Thanks Annika I will do that. That will really help me out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2013 at 13:33:27 #837874

thanks Annika…….it is confusing for us to figure out. please one more question……I see the regional – Bernese Oberland ticket says it is only available from May. Is this correct as I will be travelling 27 March to 31 March 2013.
    Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2013 at 13:35:21 #837875

good luck Marie…. each day I change my mind about the pass…..as they are quiet expensive so don’t want to make a mistake

Annika
    7116 posts
    6 January 2013 at 14:49:11 #837876

Sorry Jeannie, I missed your travel dates. It is indeed available from May. In that case I would pick the Swiss Half Fare Card. An alternative is the Swiss Card, which is only a bit more expensive but offers more convenience with the transfers to and from Interlaken West being included (no tickets required). It may even lower in price as I expect promotions to become available in the coming months. Just keep an eye on our website.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2013 at 14:56:42 #837877

thanks Annika..thats sounds great if some discounts coming out – I will wait a couple of weeks then as I have some until March…….if I run out of time to get them via internet – all can be purchased at Zurich station??? ie is the Half fare card / Swiss card

Annika
    7116 posts
    6 January 2013 at 23:56:04 #837878

You’re welcome Jeannie. All purchase options (local, online, shipping details, etc.) are on the pages I linked to. Please check there as things change quickly (promotions may be offered by specific resellers only, price changes, exchange rate changes).

• The thread ‘Swiss pass/swiss card/half fare card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.