Swiss plugs and garbage disposal at Airbnb

• Swisstcs
    Participant
    8 posts
    2 June 2022 at 20:05:45 #827392

Hi,

I’m travelling to Switzerland next week and have the following questions.

1.My Airbnb host stated that ” you will have one kg garbage bag for free. If you need more you can buy them in any store. 10 pieces cost CHF 35.00. “

Does that mean i cant bring my own garbage bag too to dispose garbage ? . Please advise.

2. Also does the attached plug type work in Switzerland ? Its of plug type C . Let me know.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    3 June 2022 at 6:44:07 #942801

Hi Swisstcs,

Yes, this plug will work. More details available here: http://www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/practical/swissoutlet

As for the garbage bag, I’m assuming you are given a 35l garbage bag. This is a designated disposal bag used only in a designated commune or municipality. It is taxed so it cost a bit more than an ordinary garbage bag. Glasses, alumnium, paper, carton and PET bottles are recyclable materials and should go in separate recycle bins. Recycling is free by the way. All other household waste are disposed off in the designated garbage bag. Based on personal experience, depending on the size of your household, a 35l garbage bag should lasts you from a few days to a week.

The waste disposal system in Switzerland works based on the principle of less waste, pay less. The more you recycle, the less trash you have and you’ll minimise the need (and therefore pay less) for garbage bags.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 June 2022 at 8:57:01 #942802

Hi Swisstcs,

In addition to Anna’s helpful information, you can read more about garbage disposal here: http://www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/nature/environment/protection.

• The thread ‘Swiss plugs and garbage disposal at Airbnb’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.