Swiss power adapter – 2 pins or 3 pins?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 September 2018 at 0:34:48 #895503

<<“his product is claimed that it could be used in Switzerland. Usually a Swiss socket is sunk into the wall, and has 3 pin, but this product has only 2 pin. Please see attached picture 2 : adapter 2 ( I mean the second adapter from left )

Could anyone please let me know if this converter/adapters work in Switzerland? Thanks a lot.”>>

Second from left will work. The key is the hexagonal surround. There are three hole and two hole receptacles in Switzerland.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2018 at 2:43:21 #895504

Hello Slowpoke,

Thanks a lot for your fast reply. I have some more questions.

1. Could two-pin adapter plug into three-hold receptacles?

2. If my adapter doesn’t work (or get lost…) in Switzerland, where can I buy USA to Switzerland power adapter in Switzerland? I mean, like train stations or market…

Thank you.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 September 2018 at 6:18:53 #895505

<<“. Could two-pin adapter plug into three-hold receptacles?

2. If my adapter doesn’t work (or get lost…) in Switzerland, where can I buy USA to Switzerland power adapter in Switzerland? I mean, like train stations or market… “>>

I usually travel with only 2 prong plug adapters. I’m trying for mental picture of using one in a 3-hole receptacle. I’m drawing a blank. However, I’m 99 % sure they will work.

I did travel with an HP lap top, for a while. That required a three hole receptacle, thus, a 3-prong adapter. Actually, come to think of it, I still have one buried in my suitcase, but don’t use it.

Definitely, at train stations in the main cities in the convenience stores , and, usually at convenience stores everywhere – Aperto, Volg, Kiosk. I’d expect to find them at Migros or COOP or Denner stores, although I’ve never bought one there.

They’re cheaper in the USA.

Try Amazon, for example.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2018 at 7:56:09 #895506

Hi iliveinLA,

You won’t have an issue finding an adapter in most towns if needed. Interdiscount and Fust are other electronic stores that can be found in larger towns and train stations.

For a few more details on adapters look here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/swissoutlet

• The thread ‘Swiss power adapter – 2 pins or 3 pins?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.