Swiss Rail from Zurich Airport to Murren

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2010 at 13:59:09 #803795

Hi:

I am very confused by all of the different options in train passes in trying to determine the most economical way for four to travel from the Zurich Airport to Murren and back again with an excursion to the Schilthorn over a three day period of time. In this same 3 day period, we also may go for a short hike one day and then take a gondola or train back to Murren. Are we better off with a Regional Bernese Oberland Pass, a Swiss Half Fare Card, a Swiss Card, a Swiss Pass, a 3 day Swiss Flexi Pass, or just purchase train tickets from point to point? My head is spinning trying to do all of the calculations. Please help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 April 2010 at 17:19:31 #831154

Hello,

There are two options that are about identical regarding the costs. Here are the costs per person:

1) A Swiss Card costs CHF 182 and includes the trip from Zürich Airport to Mürren and back. It also provides 50% discounts on trips during your stay. The total cost would be CHF 182 + 35.70 (half priced Schilthorn return ticket) = CHF 217.70.

2) A Swiss Transfer Ticket costs CHF 127. It only includes the trip from Zürich Airport to Mürren and back, without further discounts. The total cost would be CHF 127 + 71.40 (standard Schilthorn return ticket) = CHF 198.40.

Whether the difference of CHF 19.30 is worth buying the Swiss Card depends on your other plans. If you think your extra trip would cost at least double this amount without discount, the Swiss Card is the best option.

For ticket prices from Mürren, please refer to the Jungfrau Railways. Other prices can be found in the online timetable.

I hope this helps a bit. Please feel free to post any further questions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2010 at 10:25:48 #831155

Thank you kindly for your response. However, you did not mention the other options such as the 3 day Swiss Flexi Pass or the Swiss Half Fare Card. I also see that is a Regional Bernese Oberland Pass. Would these options work out better for us, and how do their costs compare to just paying point to point? Also, which of these passes are available for purchase from the United States in advance. I understand that it can be very crowded trying to purchase tickets at the Zurich Airport. Once again, thank you for your assistance.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 April 2010 at 11:20:45 #831156

Hello,

Sorry for the confusion, I only listed the two cheapest options. The return trip from Zürich to Mürren is quite expensive (about CHF 190 per person), so I looked for options which include this for free. The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland only covers part of this trip. The Swiss Half Fare Card would allow you to pay half the price, but that’s still a considerable amount (also, the Swiss Half Fare Card has a relatively expensive shipping rate as it currently only ships from Europe). A Swiss Saver (Flexi) Pass would be too expensive for just one return trip and a local excursion.

Regarding prices for the US: The Swiss Card currently costs USD 187. The Swiss Transfer Ticket costs USD 130. Shipping is free.

Point to point prices can be found through the Jungfrau Railways and the online timetable. Pass prices and shipping options for the US can be found on the pages of the respective passes. They are listed on the rail pass overview, except for the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland.

Does this answer your question? Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2010 at 17:38:36 #831157

Dear Arno:

Thank you very much. You have been quite helpful. I may have some future questions for you, if you don’t mind.

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 April 2010 at 0:39:40 #831158

You’re always welcome to ask!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2010 at 11:53:51 #831159

Hi again:
    I just received the e-mail that the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass is now available until 4/27/10 in the U.S. at a large discount. (Total $256) Does it now make sense to purchase the 3 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass instead of the other passes that were suggested. Does this pass offer any other value to us for this short excursion. Thanks once more for your assistance.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 April 2010 at 16:44:40 #831160

Hi! The Swiss Card costs $ 187 per person. The special offer for the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass would cost $ 256/2 = $ 128 per person. Two days of the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass can be used to travel from Zürich to Mürren and back. One free travel day can be used for the short extra trip you may do in addition to the Schilthorn trip. The discount on the Schilthorn is identical for Swiss Card holders and Swiss Saver Flexi Pass holders.

So, this offer would indeed save you some extra money.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2010 at 11:17:25 #831161

Thank you again for your assistance. However, upon further checking with raileurope, I learned that this special discounted rate is only good for families traveling with children (not in our case). In fact, there is an important notice on its website that children must be present at time of validation or pass will not be validated by conductors. This important restriction (that it is for families with children only) is not mentioned in your newsletter and is significant omission that should be immediately clarified. I know that I feel that I was mislead are nearly purchased tickets that we would not have been able to use. I guess that we are back to the previous options that you mentioned.

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 April 2010 at 12:41:39 #831162

Hi lawmitch2,

I noticed that restriction too now. We have updated the forum posting about the offer. Thank you for pointing that out. My apologies for misinterpreting Rail Europe’s offer, and therefore concluding this offer would be a good solution for you. I’m currently looking into how this has happened. Please let me find that out and get back to you.

Again, sorry for the confusion and thanks for your patience!

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 April 2010 at 23:58:59 #831163

Hello again,

Further research showed that the requirement for children to be present was not part of the original offer on April 21, and therefor it did not make it to our offer page. It was a mistake not to clearly state this requirement in the first place. Our page has been updated after your feedback about the extra requirement. Thank you again for letting us know! Please be sure that this was not done on purpose by either Rail Europe or us. We highly value correct information so that travelers can make a well informed decision. An update has been added to the offer for travelers that may have purchased a discounted pass before the additional requirement became available.

My apologies for the inconvenience!

• The thread ‘Swiss Rail from Zurich Airport to Murren’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.