Swiss Rail Options

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2010 at 5:10:47 #803927

Hi,

My husband and I with our 2 daughters, aged 12 and 7, are planning on visiting Switzerland for 17 days from 8th to 24th August. Need help on picking the right rail pass as per below trips:

[u]Train rides planned[/u]
    Zurich airport – Interlaken
    Interlaken – Lugano
    Tirano – Pontresina
    Pontresina – Luzern
    Luzern – Zurich

1 day Zurich Public Transport
    6 days Wengen (cable care/funicular/gondola/steamer)
    St. Moritz area (4 days public transport)
    Luzern (1 day public transport)

Thanks,
    Fabiona

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    26 July 2010 at 9:19:53 #831606

Hello Fabiona,

In general a Swiss Pass is the most economical choice when travelling long distances.
    However in all cases it is the most convenient Pass, as you hardly ever have to buy tickets for your trips (please look at the “overview of the network on which the Swiss Pass is valid”). You just get on and off trains, buses and boats and your Pass is your ticket.

Using the Timetable Switzerland prices for the train rides you mention (single, second class) are:
    ZürichAirport – Interlaken: CHF 67
    Interlaken – Lugano: CHF 76
    Tirana – Pontresina: CHF 26
    Pontresina – Lucerne: 76
    Lucerne – Zürich Airport: 27,

This makes a total of CHF 272.

Purchasing a Swiss Pass for two or more persons travelling together will give you a 15% discount (Swiss Saver Pass). You probably want to look at a Swiss Saver Pass for 22 days which will cost CHF 446 per person. Your children will travel for free.
    There’s a price difference of CHF 174.

Whether this Pass will be cost effective for you depends on urban transportation and all other trips you are going to make as well. My guess would be that prices for transportation, especially during your 6 days stay in Wengen, add up quickly, so I think this might be your best option. This Pass can be purchased online.

If you are in doubt whether this is the best choice you can also look at the Swiss Half Fare Card. This Card has a validity of one month and will cost CHF 99 per person. It will give a 50% discount on travelling by train, bus and boat, as well as a 50% discount on most gondolas, funiculars and mountain trains and on urban transportation in the cities you mention (including St. Moritz, I guess).
    With the additional (and free) STS Family Card your children will travel for free.
    Also this card can be purchased online.

I hope this helps and I wish you all a very pleasant stay in my favourite country!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2010 at 0:06:55 #831607

Thank you very much Wandermann. We’re so looking forward to the trip. Your message is very helpful. Much appreciated.

• The thread ‘Swiss Rail Options’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.