Swiss rail pass advice for 7 days itinerary

• Emily_S
    Participant
    2 posts
    28 July 2021 at 21:44:10 #825982

I have added up the regular fares for my itinerary below – costs in parentheses. The total is 574.60 CHF. On its face it looks like the Swiss Pass would make the most sense for me and there is a 25% discount on that pass until July 31st, but would it make more sense to buy a Half Fare Card and the Bernese Oberland pass? I can use the Half Fare card to purchase the BO pass which would reduce the cost even more. Also, is there a Grindelwald visitors’ pass that I am not considering? I have not included costs for the Ticino area because the Ticino Ticket provides free transportation.

Thanks for your help! It’s wonderful that there are so many options for Swiss travel, but they sure are confusing!

• Day 1: Travel to Lucerne from Zurich (25); visit Mt. Rigi (120) in the afternoon.
    • Day 2: Mt. Titlis/Lake Trubsee; (134.80)
    • Day 3: travel to Grindelwald early morning (44.20) – visit First Cliff Walk and Bachalpsee in afternoon (64)
    • Day 4: hike from Murren (40.40) to Schilthorn; cable car from Schilthorn (51);
    • Day 5: travel to Lugano (95.20) (super saver – 52)
    • Day 6 and 7: Lugano/Ticino area
  • Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2021 at 14:31:32 #935918

Hi Emily and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I understand, choosing a Swiss rail pass can be a bit confusing. For this reason, we have a calculation spreadsheet, that will help you to compare your options and do the math. You can download it from here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass. The downloadable spreadsheet also includes links to the “Where it’s valid” page for all available passes, be sure to study it carefully.
    Let us know if you need help with the spreadsheet.

Grindelwald visitor card is not a rail pass, you cannot purchase it. If you are staying in Grindelwald, you are going to get it from your hotel and it grants you discounts for local attractions (like the Glacier gorge or for Männlichen cable car): http://www.myswissalps.com/grindelwald/travel

Almost every town and village have a guest card like that in the Jungfrau region. Ticino Ticket is also similar to the Grindewald Visitor Card.

I hope this helps,
    Ildiko

More about the regions you are visiting:

Danielsan
    Participant
    628 posts
    29 July 2021 at 21:05:53 #935919

Hi Emily S,

Not sure what time of year you’re traveling. Also, not sure between days 3 and 4, are you staying in Lauterbrunnen area, or taking train down each day from Lucerne? Assuming you’re staying in area, Wengen is a great place to stay. Fairly central to places you are considering, and less crowded, depending on time of year. A car-less village, yet very beautiful, very Swiss and very scenic. Grindelwald is only a cable car/train (or three ) away. Murren is a train, cable car, and/or hike away. Also on day 4, are you planning to hike UP TO the Schilthorn, or take the cable car up? (I believe it can be done, but it’s a good, healthy, hike.) The reason I ask is that the cable car to the Schilthorn is in Murren. Unless, maybe you are hiking to Murren? (Which is a beautiful hike from the Grutschalp, which is directly across from the Lauterbrunnen train station.) Hope this helps in some way. Enjoy your planning. And your trip. With all you’re planning, it just may best to go with the 8-day STP. (Though you are still figuring that out.)

Danielsan

Emily_S
    Participant
    2 posts
    29 July 2021 at 21:19:55 #935920

Thank you for your response! Sorry that my post was a little light on information. I had also posted on the Tripadvisor forum and I had my whole itinerary on there. This is my itinerary:

Day 1: Travel to Lucerne from Zurich in early morning so there is time to visit Mt. Rigi. If there is bad weather, I will walk around Lucerne

Day 2: Mt. Titlis/Lake Trubsee; overnight in Lucerne. If there is bad weather, I can take a day trip to Bern

Day 3: travel to Grindelwald early morning – visit First Cliff Walk and Bachalpsee; overnight in Grindelwald

Day 4: hike from Murren to Schilthorn; overnight in Grindelwald ( I plan to hike up to Schilthorn and take the cable car down)

Day 5: travel to Lugano

Day 6 and 7: Lugano/Ticino area

After using the spreadsheet (thank you Ildiko!), it looks like the best option for me is the 4 day STP. (with the current 25% discount, I will save about CHF200). I would just book a regular ticket to Lugano on Day 5 and the Ticino Ticket provides free transportation once I’m in the Ticino area and check into a Lugano hotel. One question about the trip to Lugano – a one way ticket from Grindelwald is CHF 95.20, but the Saver Day Pass is CHF 52. It seems like an obvious choice to me. Is there a reason why I should not book the Saver Day Pass for that trip?

Thanks again for the help! Even with the spreadsheet, it literally took me hours to compare all the options!

Anna
    6274 posts
    30 July 2021 at 10:01:33 #935921

Hi Emily S,

I would go for the Saver Day Pass too. The Saver Day Pass is only available online. Be sure to read about the restrictions before ordering.

http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/price

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Swiss rail pass advice for 7 days itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.