Swiss rail pass comparison spreadsheet

• Rels
    Participant
    139 posts
    21 February 2019 at 5:44:04 #820035

Hi all,

Have booked all accommodation except first and last nights when we fly in and out of Zurich for our 5 week trip in May/June.

Now to check our rail pass options. Have loaded the spreadsheet with our itinerary, including day excursions. Finding it difficult to get ticket prices for point to point from the SBB website, it’s wanting me to enter dates of travel as if I am purchasing tickets, and then telling me tickets aren’t yet available, and so no price is given.

My initial thought is two full 15 Day Swiss Travel Passes, and maybe use the free regional passes given out by accommodation providers (e.g Ticino) and a point to point ticket for the first and last day from and to the airport, or whatever, for the extra 5 days, but I’d still like to do the calculations.

Any suggestions on an easy way to find ticket prices?

Thanks,

Narelle

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 February 2019 at 9:20:48 #904684

Use any date on the SBB Timetable. Prices remain static for the entire year. Don’t forget the SBB Timetable shows half-fare prices by default.

You can also get a domestic Half-fare Card for CHF 180 (for 12-months) which will cover your whole visit. That may be a possibility as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2019 at 15:34:19 #904685

Hi Narelle,

Well done you for being so methodical 🙂 this will certainly secure you the best possible deal.

I think Rockoyster has already advised how to get around the hurdle. It sounds like it will be between the Swiss Travel Pass x2 http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass or the Swiss Half Fare Card which may be good given the length of your trip: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard

I also find it easier to view prices by downloading the SBB mobile app if I’m planning a big trip with lots of stops and then entering the values on the computer.

Good luck with the planning!

Maria.

• The thread ‘Swiss rail pass comparison spreadsheet’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.