Swiss Travel Pass Flex for short train ride or PtP

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2019 at 2:21:48 #824480

Hi I am a little confused about the Swiss rail pass flexible. Do I need to validate it when doing a 30 minute train trip on a local train or is it cheaper to pay for a ticket and use my rail pass on days where I am travelling from city to city not local trains or buses to get around the city.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 November 2019 at 3:10:25 #925246

Hello Smlocking and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

If you are just doing a short, low cost trip it is most likely not worth using a day from you Swiss Travel Pass Flex pass.

Depending on where you are staying it is quite common for hotels to provided you with a free City (or local area) Travel card for city transport. Be sure to ask.

If you want to use your STPF on any day then you will use up a travel day in the process.

Hope that’s clear. For more see http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpassflex/howt ouse.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2019 at 5:36:48 #925247

Yes that Is what I thought thank you for confirming

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2019 at 6:19:31 #925248

Hello Smlocking,

I agree with Rockoyster that possibly a point-to-point ticket will be cheaper if you’re only doing a short ride on that day. To find out about regular train prices you can use the SBB timetable provided below and double the price you get there (the prices are by default half fare prices). For purchase the second links makes sense, as they are official, international retailers.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland

Best,
    Steph

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 November 2019 at 6:39:46 #925249

Hi Steph,

For purchase the second links makes sense . . .

You think? Surely for itty-bitty trips the thing that makes sense is to buy tickets at a ticket machine at a station?

Or, of course, my own personal favourite for checking timetables and buying tickets, the SBB Mobile app which can be set to offer full fares by default.

Too cheeky? 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2019 at 7:19:22 #925250

Hi Rockoyster man! 🙂

All fine, of course it’s fine to buy the tickets just before departure, this option is mentioned in the link I provided. Just want to offer the travellers all options available, that’s all!

Take care and be good.

Btw, I love you’re friendly cheekiness, no worries! 😉

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2019 at 8:28:44 #925251

Thanks for the information all. It’s been helpful. I have downloaded the app and thanks Steph for the link

Looking forward to exploring Switzerland and enjoying the beautiful scenery

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass Flex for short train ride or PtP’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.