About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Swiss rail pass for 10 days car and train
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Swiss rail pass for 10 days car and train

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Lavinutanka
Lavinutanka
1 post
Jul 21, 2021 - 1:59 AM

Hello friends,

We are family of four youngest 18yrs and traveling to Switzerland from 8/25 to 9/3. Landing in Zurich on 8/24 night and planning to do sightseeing including Rhine falls on 8/25 and drive to Lucerne the same night of 8/25 and will spend two days at Lucerne to do sightseeing , Lake Lucerne and also to visit Mt.Pilates and Titlis glacier and drive to St. Moritz to take Glacier express the next day to Zermatt. Will be in Zermatt for two days and will be visiting Klein Matterhorn and possibly take rail to Gornergrat for Matterhorn views. Also plan to ski and do 5 lake hike and drive to Geneva for a day and drive to Interlaken for 2 days on 9/1 and 9/2. Plan to see Harder Kulm and Jungfraujoch and St beat us caves and drive to Zurich and depart on 9/3.

Given above itinerary with driving involved what travel pass suits my needs to use for Glacier Express and some train and mountain passes and museums and entry tickets for falls etc. I have been reading about the diff types of Swiss passes but with the driving involved wasn’t sure which is a right choice for me. Have tried reading diff discussions in diff forums too

would appreciated if any one have any suggestions

Ildiko
Ildiko
1309 posts
top member &
Jul 21, 2021 - 8:54 AM in reply to Lavinutanka

Hi Lavinutanka and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

Usually, we recommend using the train system instead of driving - if you have no specific reason for driving. Some of the reasons are that the Swiss rail system is amazing, trains are comfortable, clean and very easy to use (also better for the environment and the glaciers). An other reason is that driving can be tricky on the mountain routes if you are not used to it. You should be aware of the speed limits too, as Swiss traffic fines are really high. This one is a good article regarding cars vs trains: www.myswissalps.com/carversustrain. If you still decide to travel by car, make sure you check these practical information: www.myswissalps.com/car and www.myswissalps.com/co2compensation.

If you are driving, I suggest have a look at the Swiss Half Fare Card, make sure to check all the labels on this page: www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard.

Otherwise the Swiss Travel Pass can be also good for you, it also includes free museum entries in many Swiss museums (in case you like museums): www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass. Actually there is a great promotion (25% off) at the moment if you buy your Swiss Travel Passes in July 2021: www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/swiss-travel-pass-25-off-for-trips-in-20212022

Anyway, to compare the costs, use our calculation spreadsheet, you can download it from here: www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

I hope this helps,
Take care,
Ildiko

Annika
Annika
6621 posts
expert &
Jul 21, 2021 - 5:20 PM

Hi Lavinutanka! In addition to Ildiko's great tips: if you take the Glacier Express from St. Moritz to Zermatt, you'll have to leave your car behind. Moreover, Zermatt is car-free: www.myswissalps.com/zermatt/travel. So you'd have to rent a new car and park it in Täsch, and continue driving after your stay in Zermatt. Overall, I agree with Ildiko that a train-only itinerary suits your plans better.

Last modified on Jul 22, 2021 - 6:13 AM by Annika
Shroffchetan
Shroffchetan
179 posts
Jul 22, 2021 - 6:52 AM

Swiss Travel Pass if you are not using car

Swiss Half Fare if using car

In Switzerland public transport is an attraction itself. I used STP and it was a great option

Not used car so can not comment

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021